Soundproofing

I have recently purchased a small upright acoustic piano for my flat. I would like to keep the noise to a minimum so my neighbours downstairs are not disturbed too much (there is no one upstairs or adjacent).

I was thinking of getting one of othe following to put directly below the piano base:

would be grateful for any comments on whether either of these products are suitable . And any ideas on if I might be able to purchase these locally (Scotland) so I don't have to order online and pay delivery charges.

Also, are there any additional methods of reducing sound levels from my piano? I currently have wooden flooring but will be getting underlay and carpet fitted also. I was only planning on fitting a piece of the soundproof mats listed above directly under the piano as it would be too costly to use this throughout the whole room. Hopefully standard underlay would be suitable for the rest of the room.

Reply to
b8pu

I would be grateful for any comments on whether either of these

Would you think that standing on a mat would reduce the sound of your voice elsewhere? It won't - and neither will this make much difference to a piano as sound doesn't act like a lazer beam - it radiates in near enough all directions.

It would make far more sense to buy an electric piano and wear headphones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

...Which is exactly what I was going to suggest.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Except they sound like crap

Reply to
Stuart Noble

As do small uprights.

I didn't actually mean a true electric piano (tuning fork) which do sound nothing like a real one, but a synthesised type which can be ok.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's this whole thing of only hearing sound through a speaker. I think we're losing the acoustic sound experience.

Reply to
Stuart Noble