SOT: Car battery conundrum

Yes. Carry a testing kit everywhere you go - just for the sake of saving pennies over de-ionised water. It's just the sort of thing I'd expect from you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was certainly said to effect plug life. Also to make body corrosion better (or worse)?

But not all UK makers used positive earth - and pretty well none elsewhere.

Rolls Royce never used positive earth.

Think also very old UK cars were all negative earth - the change to positive being in the 1930s?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Motorbikes have been using alternators for ages - much longer than cars. Low current rectifiers weren't a problem. High current ones were - until silicone diodes arrived.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I said £50 not £20.

suggests an average weekly wage of £8 in 1951, other links suggest a lower average wage.

suggests a average full weekly wage in 2006 was £500 per week

What size screen are you thinking off? This would cost 1/2 in real terms of the £20 radio you mentions:

Fredxxx

Yup. Although I'm not convinced it made much difference on most cars. ;-)

At one time the LT terminals were marked CB and Ign. Later ones went to plus and minus.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not surprising considering a dynamo becomes a motor if left connected to the battery.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup. Dunno if there are any accurate self zeroing DC clamp meters.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Even the very worst politician seems to understand debate better than you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's so long ago I topped up a battery I can't remember when. Must be an extremely backward country you live in if it's still needed. Cuba?

Your replies get more stupid by the moment. Is it Scotch or Vodka?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why an I reminded of Adam?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Aberdeen tap water was said to be suitable when I was a kid there in the

50s.

However, it's all a bit irrelevant. Not had a car battery that ever needed topping up for over 10 years. They changed the design to help stop loss of electrolyte, and modern charging systems prevent overcharging and subsequent gassing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You've excelled yourself there. It's the name all car batteries are known by. Same as Ni-Cad, etc.

Except of course in your tiny warped mind.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nevertheless, when the battery's getting a bit on the old side, it's probably still worth prising out the 'sealed-for-life' plugs, and having a quick look.

That said, last year, when I eventually got around to looking at the (original) battery in my 2004 Focus, the plates were still well covered.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I'm no longer confident that I know what 'lead-acid' are called!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Lead acid is fine. The basic chemistry is the same over a range of batteries designed for different applications.

The acronym SLA is used for the sealed variety so even Mr Trotter would understand the term "Lead Acid".

Reply to
Fredxxx

Of course some are advertised as 'calcium' these days. Nothing new with advertisers trying to confuse.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Lead acid, SLA, VRLA, AGM, accumulators, secondary cells, flooded cells, etc

NT

Reply to
meow2222

An excerpt from a paper: There are five basic plate alloys used today.

  1. Pure Lead used in standby long duration batteries with low current demands
  2. Lead-Antimony used for cycling applications and often for heavy equipment starting batteries
  3. Lead-Calcium (dominates the U.S. market) for flooded standby and VRLA designs
  4. Lead-Selenium (dominates the European market) for flooded standby and cycling applications
  5. Lead-Tin for VRLA
Reply to
Fredxxx

Yes - all basically lead acid. No need to worry about the varieties for the purposes of this dicsussion. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mebbe not, but it's bloody interesting...

VRLA? "Cycling applications"? "Flooded standby"?

Reply to
Adrian