SOT: Bird brains

In the last few days we have been experiencing strange behaviour by a pair of blue t*ts (the bird variety} at our home.

They regularly keep dive-bombing at our windows for no obvious reason.

Apart from the nuisance value, I am concerned they may injure or kill themselves.

Has anyone else experienced this kami-kasi behaviour from birds and more importantly have any ideas how to prevent it.

We have tried drawing the curtains but they just move to the next available window!

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

It's the mating season and they are trying to "see off" potential rivals?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

They may not see the window in the same way as you do. To them it may be acting as a mirror or if you don't have net curtains perhaps they can see through your house to a window on an opposite wall. They don't see a hard wall of glass.

You can get window stickers to try and prevent them flying into the windows.

alan_m

They are Albanian blue t*ts and want to beg a nights lodging and get warm. Then they will steal your nuts and f*ck off

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I suspect it is something like that.

We have a bird feeder by the patio and we’ve had birds ‘attack’ their reflections in the patio doors or appear to a few times. It seems to go in phases, almost as if particular birds are fooled by the reflections while others ignore them.

Once or twice we’ve seen stunned birds on the patio, I assume they’ve knocked themselves senseless by flying into the glass. They seem to recover, we watch to check the local cats don’t get them if we notice them.

Reply to
Brian

Yes. We have kami kaze birds regularly flying into windows. Sometimes they lie dazed for a while then fly off other times its terminal. The real problem is blue t*ts pecking at wing mirrors on cars. They perch on the mirror surround and repeatedly peck at their reflection I suppose

Reply to
fred

Yes, but not just the Tits. I've not seen it lately, but they often see their reflection as a rival for them and try to discourage it. I don't see how shutting the curtains helps unless the contrast is worse with them drawn. The only way to stop it I'd imagine is some kind of external shutters or some coating to make them less reflective. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Male robins do it, day after day. Why don't they learn? Even nematodes learn. Bird brains indeed.

Reply to
Max Demian

"kamikaze"

We had a magpie knock itself out on a window once. It was obviously concussed when it woke up, I took it inside for a few days until it could fly in a straight line again. The magpies are currently nesting in the top of the hedge. A juvenile sparrowhawk wasn't so lucky and didn't survive the crash. I reckon blue t*ts are so small they'd have to go really fast to cause much damage to themselves.

Reply to
Rob Morley

We had a pigeon crash into a patio door but it must have recovered and flown away before we went to investigate. We could see it was a pigeon because it left a perfect impression of its feathers in dust on the glass.

Reply to
The Other John

Or a cat got it.

We had a bird imprint on a window a few weeks ago - I think that was probably a pigeon too.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Many years ago huge flocks of pigeons could be observed around harvestb time. Them they became absent. A friend blamed it on something farmers were spraying. It upset their control of teir body temperature. Certainly the appeared to have become stupified as several times I came across them on roads and they were loathe to shift. Pigeons were always the most wary of birds necessitating sending a dog up one side of a hedge to scare them out to the gun as they would see you coming and fly off away from your side

Reply to
fred

Birds moult and disappear while new feathers are growing

Andrew