Sorting out drills

Yes I agree, but I'll bet he talks in that non SI of centimetres. They annoy me on TV. I was introduced to mm in 1978 and have always thought that way ever since.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That's OK for imperial to metric, but you haven't given the metric to imperial sizes.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Maybe you could wait until I have made the imperial block, which will be separate from the metric block.

Reply to
Matty F

I considered puting different colours on the drills, but decided to just mark the metric ones so people know which drill block to put a drill into. Since I used the actual drill to drill each hole, the drills won't go into the wrong hole.

Reply to
Matty F

Two shed-loads and four drill presses! Next I'll be sorting out the drills from half inch to about two inch.

Reply to
Matty F

So how would you address someone called Miles?

Reply to
Tim Streater

The name Miles has got nothing to do with measurement.

MM

Reply to
MM

^ | Millimetric, in fact.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

You call him Gib (Miles is my first name).

Reply to
Gib Bogle

You don't find yourself wanting to call him Kilometres then?

Reply to
Tim Streater

What about the Zoll?

Would you like to remind us how many mm that is ?

25.4, isn't it ?

and what about power output of a car engine, people tend to use Ps (Pferdestärke) rather than the metric wattage, don't they

etc ...

Reply to
geoff

Well, I had assumed that someone working in a metric environment would use a metric vernier - but here goes:

mm drill

1.00 1.0mm 1.50 1.5mm 2.00 2.0mm 2.50 2.5mm 3.50 3.0mm

... etc., etc.,

(I can't be bothered to fire up Excel again and calculate it in 1/25.4ths of an inch ...)

Reply to
Terry Casey

The name Miles has got nothing to do with that, either.

No.

No idea.

Horses are more metric than imperial, given that they must have been brought here by the Romans.

MM

Reply to
MM

No you don't do you

The metric unit is (k)W

If its Roman, it has to be imperial doesn't it (or did that go over your head too?)

Reply to
geoff

In message , Terry Casey writes

Asymptotic are they ?

Reply to
geoff

Rome wasn't always an empire.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Don't spoil a good punchline

Reply to
geoff

It was when they brought the horses over. Or maybe geoff thinks the chariots were self-driven in some way.

MM

Reply to
MM

That's roughly 100% correct.

Is it really? I did not know that. Thanks for telling me!

No idea.

MM

Reply to
MM

I just think you don't realise just how many non-metric units you were exposed to as an inselaffe abroad

Reply to
geoff