Sorting news messages by date

How please? Mine, at the moment, are all higgledy piggledy, I'm sure they uesed to be in date sequence.

Reply to
John Towill

Either click on the column header you want to sot by (twice for the opposite order)

Or from the menu (press alt if you don't see a menu) view/sort-by/whatever

Reply to
Andy Burns

If you turn on the menu bar if not already on (right click near the top of the window).

Then from the Sort menu you can set the methods used for sorting.

I find Sort by Ascending, Order Received, and Threaded works well. That keeps the thread in the place they were first received, and you can collapse then down to a single first post if you want.

Also have a look at doing a few filters to make life easier:

I tend to have a filter set to match my own posts and set them to a different colour and also mark the thread as "watched". That way I can easily go back to just threads I am participating in that have new posts to see by seeing the "Threads" control in the menu to "Watched Threads with Unread"

Reply to
John Rumm

Kindly tell me how you avoid threads that morph into vegan hysterics!

Didn't something similar happen to the amateur radio group?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Not sure about your newsreader but I simply select 'ignore thread'. Other options are to killfile on the usual suspects which does have the problem that *if* they should post anything worth reading you won't see it until it is replied to by someone outside the killfile.

Reply to
Bev

Shift K on thunderbird - kill sub thread.

Don't know - but something drove em here :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed. Perhaps put the rubbish up in a different colour.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

snip

I'm not sure if Turnpike is that clever. Right click takes you to the kill options. After that I'm not sure.

No. Just tried that and it kills the whole thread:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Might be useful to specify which software you are using to read it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm sure you can split a thread with Turnpike.

Reply to
Max Demian

I looked at the message source to see the "User-Agent:"...

(Can you do that in Pan?)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, but if he wants help he should make it easy...

Reply to
Bob Eager

i apologise for that it was not intensional, just my ignorance. Thanks for the replies very useful, the first by Andy hit the nail on the head, now fixed, however the remainder were informative and added to my small knowledge. :-)

Reply to
John Towill

Unfortunately you'll probably find, if you toggle between viewing all messages or unread messages, that the sort order gets munged again, at least it does for me ...

Reply to
Andy Burns