SORN nightmare

This is all totally new to me and I am lost. Car was due to be taxed at beginning of July Car was booked in for MOT end of June Car had accident before I could have it tested. Car has been of the road ever since waiting for spare parts. SORN has been applied for by post.

So what happens if the repair garage finally finishes with the car. (I have= already had the date of the test changed 3 times every time they told me i= t would be ready in a few days. In fact I missed changing the last date so = have now forfeited the =A330 cost.)

My understanding is I may only drive the vehicle on the road to an mot appo= intment providing I have valid insurance which i of course have.

How do I collect it from the repair garage to keep it off road at home whil= e I wait to have it tested ? =20

Paranoia rules

Reply to
fred

Is the insurance valid on an untaxed car without a MOT?

Reply to
alan

Wait until its finished, then phone an MOT test centre and book your test, drive to test centre, then drive home.

Reply to
dennis

already had the date of the test changed 3 times every time they told me it would be ready in a few days. In fact I missed changing the last date so have now forfeited the £30 cost.)

appointment providing I have valid insurance which i of course have.

wait to have it tested ?

You dont. You book an MOT and drive it from the garage to the MOT station.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Up to a point, yes.

Remember insurance covers you even if its totally your bloody fault.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

already had the date of the test changed 3 times every time they told me it would be ready in a few days. In fact I missed changing the last date so have now forfeited the £30 cost.)

appointment providing I have valid insurance which i of course have.

wait to have it tested ?

You are also covered to drive an untaxed vehicle to or from a place where work is to be carried out in order to pass an MOT. Surely accident repairs are required before the MOT and therefore it is legal to drive it back home again, as it has "been having work done so that it can pass an MOT."

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Yes! As long as you have a pre-booked MOT appointment and drive the vehicle directly to the garage for that appointment.

Remember, you cannot tax the car without an MOT and you cannot legally drive the car on the road to get to the MOT appointment without it being insured - a bit of the old chicken and egg situation if you couldn't insure the car when it's not MOTd and/or taxed.

Reply to
Unbeliever

Legally, I believe the answer is no - if you have that situation, you either get the car trailored home, or get the garage to deliver it back home using trade plates. Or the get the repairing garage to MOT it (if it so equipped - or as previously said by another poster here, take it straight to the MOT station from the repairers).

All good fun.

Reply to
Unbeliever

Any halfway decent repairer will get the MoT done for you. Quite a numbe= r =

are MoT testers in their own right, and the rest are pretty much bound t= o =

have an arrangement with a local tester - plus the vehicle moving trucks= , =

trade plates, etc. to do whatever is necessary.

Lots and lots of people have similar situations.

But if you do drive it to a MoT tester, remember that you cannot do =

anything else such as stop to buy a newspaper.

Reply to
polygonum

I would just use a couple of copied trade plates just to annoy dennis.

And I would do 34MPH in a 30MPH limit just so that he could have a fit.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

So you've had a curry the night before... and it reaches your bowels halfway through the trip to the mot station.... you have to present the car with a pebble dashed drivers seat and footwell ?

Reply to
Gazz

It is possible to plead necessity in English law.

Although I thoroughly enjoy a good hot curry, they never have such an effect on me. Maybe I soure them with more care? :-)

Reply to
polygonum

It appears to be another government c*ck-up. If your car fails an MOT, you can drive it home. You can then also drive it to and from a garage (pre-booked) for repairs related to that failure. However, they don't seem to have allowed for the case where you know there is a fault and need to get it to and from a garage before an MOT - I made the mistake of thinking that that was covered, when it is not.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

The car is supposed to be roadworthy, that is capable of passing the test. If it is going for repairs then its not roadworthy. You get it to the repairers by towing it or putting it on a transporter, depending on what the fault is. If you are stopped going to a pre-booked MOT and the car is not roadworthy they will do you as they will if you fail on things like tyres and you then try to drive it back home.

Reply to
dennis

Strictly that should be trailered or driven on trade plates But normally you would pre-book an MOT at the same place it was expected to be repaired.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup. Construction and use etc etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ooooh, I do hate the expression "pre-booked". Booked means something has been arranged in advance. You can't "pre-book" something, that doesn't mean anything!

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

It does. It means that e.g. in this instance you didnt set out to do a

100 mile drive and book an MOT on your mobile somewhere up the M5. You booked it BEFORE you left. Pre booked it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sorry. Car is in N.I. where there are government designated MOT centres. (i.e) It cant be done by a normal garage.

The problem is that there can be a waiting period of 2-3 weeks to get an appointment for an MOT and I'm not sure if the (accident) repair centre would hold it for me.

Bollix

Reply to
fred

It cant be done by a normal garage.

appointment for an MOT and I'm not sure if the (accident) repair centre would hold it for me.

Then bite the bullet and hire a Land Rover and trailer. Or speak to your local friendly breakdown recovery person. Beer tokens will often get you a very good deal if you don't mind when the job's done within limits.

Reply to
John Williamson