Are there any things to worry about with cabinets made like this? Why woul= d anyoen buy chipboard in preference?

Examples of suppliers:

for any comments,

Robert laws at bcs.org.uk

Reply to
RobertL

carcasses. They seem to cost about the same (or less) than the usual chipboard ones from the big names. The wood is typically 18mm thick and made from panels 'assembled' from smaller planks.

anyoen buy chipboard in preference?

I can't see how they would compete on price with (say) B&Q carcases. Their profit is in the doors, drawers, and worktops.

Chipboard was a PITA before the adjustable plastic pillars were invented because it inevitably got damp at the bottom and decayed from there. These days, I don't see any problem with it unless you are particularly Essex. YMMV if you were renovating a classy old property.

Reply to
newshound

carcasses. They seem to cost about the same (or less) than the usual chipboard ones from the big names. The wood is typically 18mm thick and made from panels 'assembled' from smaller planks.

anyoen buy chipboard in preference?

It's melamine faced, so easy to maintain. It's almost certainly more stable than wood. Unless your kitchen is prone to flooding, I can't see the advantages of wooden carcasses

Reply to
stuart noble

I hate those plastic pillars. As you attempt to slide the base unit into place the damn things snap off. Proper continuous panel all the way to the floor lets you adjust the position infinitely, and spreads the weight across two long lengths instead of four spot pressure points.

JGH

Reply to
jgh

You don't slide them into place, at least not with any force. You screw them up before you insert the unit, lift it into place, *then* adjust the feet.

Reply to
newshound

- There are several on-line suppliers offering kitchen units with

- solid wood carcasses. They - seem to cost about the same (or less)

- than the usual chipboard ones from the big names. The wood is

- typically 18mm thick and made from panels 'assembled' from smaller planks.

- They also seem to be made in factories in the UK which is nice.

- Are there any things to worry about with cabinets made like this?

- Why would anyoen buy chipboard in preference?

Apart from the door and drawer fronts, which can be solid oak or any other timber if you so choose, the only part visible part aside from the end panels will be the insides of the cupboards and drawers. Here white melamine is preferable, both from a visibilty aspect and in terms of keeping it clean. Its a whole lot easier to see what's at the back of a cupboard if the interior is white, and its also easier to see if its been properly cleaned.

Apart from this, the reason chipbpoard and MDF are so popular is because they're more stable in a kitchen environment, by design, than is natural timber.

Quite what benefit there can be, in having the sides and maybe even the backs of cabinets, which will never actually be seen - i.e all but the end panels - made from solid timber is something only the suppliers could possibly answer.

michael adams

Examples of suppliers:

for any comments,

Robert laws at bcs.org.uk

Reply to
michael adams

Chip doesn't last well. Timber does.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It usually lasts long enough to fulfil its intended purpose.

Up to 40 years and more, in some cases

Often too long for a kitchen which will often be replaced within

30 years if not sooner.

michael adams

michael adams

I plan to use my kitchen for the rest of my life, then pass it on.

That is very optimistic for chip. I do however know a real wood kitchen still in use that looks over a century old.

Often because of deteriorated chipboard Even more often because of dodgy melamine/chipboard styling. Wood tends to be more conservative, and not look so outdated.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

But of your floor isn't level you're in trouble!

Reply to
tinnews

Thin sheets of oak, in particular, don't last well at all - at least not in the sense of staying flat and smooth.

Reply to
tinnews

In article , RobertL writes

that get used in commercial and industrial installations. I'd love to see them used for kitchen cabinets but no joy yet, the market seems happy with cheap shit. Real wood might work looks wise but it's not for me, I want bright wipe down surfaces that don't care about a bit of damp.

Reply to
fred