Solid wood floors - replacing existing boards

Is it a difficult job to replace existing pine (tongue-and-grooved) floor boards with new hardwood ones?

The existing boards are all upstairs, so are just nailed to the joists. Can I simply take them up and lay new ones (eg oak), or do I need to get underlay and a base layer of plywood etc first?

Also, how much would it cost to get someone to do this for me, for two rooms totalling about 40m/sq?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Reply to
Zibbedee

Rip em up, lay new ones on the joists, assuming they are level. Not too hard.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper