Solid rubber blocks - where to buy in UK???

The funniest thing is - when you can (possibly) hear the difference (about age 19) you can't afford the kit, by the time you can afford the kit

*everyone's* ears have deteriorated so you couldn't tell the difference anyway. "Esoteric Hi-Fi" - it's better but you just can't hear it.

Cheap mains cable anyone - I'll take two!....

Bob Mannix

The message from "Bob Mannix" contains these words:

Reply to
Guy King

How about these then?

Frank Erskine

Oh no, it's for real. They do cheaper ones for ony £500 odd though if you are a bit strapped!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

That should have helped get rid of structure borne vibrations, but air borne will still have some effect on a microphonic valve.

Could, of course, contribute to the 'valve' sound you're after.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Bob Mannix" contains these words:

There are some seriously sad people out there. And, I guess, some very happy ones who've found ways of parting the sad ones from their money.

For the amount that these types spend on their kit you could go to a concert twice a week. Though that probably wouldn't sound as good.

Reply to
Guy King

That should have helped get rid of structure borne vibrations, but air borne will still have some effect on a microphonic valve. >

Yes indeed - that's the next step to deal with. It's in a 2U chassis, so I'll have to pay attention to the top of the chassis as well - should be solid.

Could, of course, contribute to the 'valve' sound you're after.>

Well, funnily enough, people have said this - or more specifically that some of the best sounding valves have issues with microphony. In this case it's the tiny filaments of battery valves, not a malfunction.

Reply to
Eusebius

There are some seriously sad people out there. And, I guess, some very happy ones who've found ways of parting the sad ones from their money. For the amount that these types spend on their kit you could go to a concert twice a week>>

I think the sad thing is that a lot of creative people are really into their audio systems, and when they don't have the knowledge to change important things like the circuit and its componants they use their creativity to change whatever they can, within their knowledge base. This usually amounts to cables, chunks of oak under equipment, stands etc etc. These are the people who are being exploited. They buy from HiFi showrooms, and we all know what that means. DIY audio fanatics buy bags of bits from Farnell and RS, and are considerably harder to fool, since - because they deal with the whole system on componant level - they tend to know which componants matter and which don't..

Reply to
Eusebius

Talk to Bentley Chemicals about their Smooth-on range of castable silicones and urethanes. They're UK based, extremely helpful to small-scale consumers and they're generous with product information and samples. Ask nicely and they'll send you a keyring full of "hockey puck" samples, all at different Shore hardnesses.

Reply to
dingbat

Talk to Bentley Chemicals about their Smooth-on range of castable silicones and urethanes. They're UK based, extremely helpful to small-scale consumers and they're generous with product information and

samples. Ask nicely and they'll send you a keyring full of "hockey puck" samples, all at different Shore hardnesses. >>

Now that is what I call a really helpful post! Andy

PS I once had a catalogue from a rubber company that had a kangaroo as a logo - anyone know what that was?

Reply to
Eusebius

Are you using material recorded by yourself using DHTs? If not, every commercial recording or radio etc broadcast won't have been anywhere near one, so I'm not quite clear how they can improve on them?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are you using material recorded by yourself using DHTs? If not, every commercial recording or radio etc broadcast won't have been anywhere near one, so I'm not quite clear how they can improve on them? >>

Very good question. Hazarding a guess: a) If the recordings are done fully in the digital domain, then the analogue stage of home reproduction should make a significant difference b) even if the recordings are done with analogue stages, then the home reproduction amplifier (whose job it is to add significant amplification to the signal) is still one stage in the final sound, and can be better or worse.

The thing about DHTs is that they don't appear to 'add' anything like warmth, euphonics and the usual things said about 50s and 60s tube amps

- that's not their characteristic sound at all (no fuzzy ECC83 warmth or rounded EL34 tone). The two things they generically seem to have is clarity and faithful timbre of instruments. This doesn't seem to be 'added' - how can you add clarity and faithfulness of timbre?

Reply to
Eusebius

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Matt saying something like:

That's pretty shitty too, much of the time.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon