Solering iron element source

As a matter of principle, I do not wish to buy from Maplin - due their policy of charging for delivery to their local stores, for items they do not stock.
What I'm looking for is a source for replacement ceramic soldering iron elements to match the following.
24v 48w, 4 wire, element plus sensor, 5mm OD around 80mm long depending upon where you measure it to. It is to suit Maplin's N34FB LCD display soldering station and their replacement element part number is N78GZ.
Plenty of similar ceramic ones on Ebay, but cannot seem to find a match for the size - most seem to be 4mm x 65mm. Cannot find anything on RS or Farnell sites.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

As a lot of the Maplin specials are made to order for them in China, you may have to swallow your pride, or find out which Chinese factory made that batch.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

On 04/04/2012 14:57, John Williamson wrote:

Does their deliver to toyshop charge apply even if you happen to go in the toyshop and get the teenager to order one? (As opposed to online ordering). Of course it would involve two trips...
Part Timer wrote:

It didn't last week when I ordered some SDRAM in the shop.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John Williamson used his keyboard to write :

So the difference between going in to place the order (with free delivery to the store) and ordering it via the Internet or maybe over the phone is what? I don't mind one visit to collect, but two visits, with the fuel consumed, is ridiculous.
Other than that, they are a rather good iron ;o)
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Then why not just order via the net? The postal charge is less than 2 litres of petrol...
--
*I was once a millionaire but my mom gave away my baseball cards

Dave Plowman (News) expressed precisely :

Because I don't mind a very occasional visit to their store. Being able to order it on line, or via the phone for free delivery to a local store would suit me fine. Making one trip to order and then a second to collect, would not suit me nor is it very cost effective.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

You could ring up the shop and ask them if they have stock and if not to get one in for you?
Theo

If this is still maplin we are talking about then the last time I went in to buy something they didn't have in stock they sent it to me at home free.
dennis@home formulated the question :

Which was my experience too, from a few years ago. Now they charge you for delivery to your home or to their store, if the local store lacks stock.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

In the case of the RAM, the store price was the same as the online price, but I only know that because I checked afterwards. It was also slightly more than the on-line prices of other sellers. Some other lines are more expensive in store, by about the delivery charge.
As my local Maplin is near other shops I have to visit on a weekly basis, I can't add the fuel cost to the cost of the goods.

A lot of their stuff is surprisingly good for the price, and I find it worth paying the extra for the shop price so I've got the convenience of being able to have a rant at the shop manager on the very rare occasions when something goes wrong, or doesn't work as advertised. My main point of dispute with my local one is their reluctance to sell me the last one in the shop, as it means they've then not got one on display. I want it, or an alternative, *now*, otherwise I would have ordered it online.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

IMHO, you're lucky Maplin actually stock spares at all. And the price including postage is little different from buying such a low value item from CPC or RS anyway.
--
*Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

Dave Plowman (News) used his keyboard to write :

None the less - it is unreasonable to expect their customers to pay for transporting items from their distribution depot, to their stores.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

They obviously think it is. Think of it as the shops actually being nothing to do with the head office, so it's a special order. Many shops do charge extra for this. In other words it's conceivable Maplin shops are some form of franchise and do get charged for deliveries.
The other option is to try another store - they don't all have identical stocks. But of course it could cost you to travel there.
--
* I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid

Look at it this way
Last week I bought 24 litre cans of IPA from CPC. Two days later I received a flyer from them which predated my order by 4 days where they were over 1 cheaper / can
bastards wouldn't refund the difference
I also bought a scroll excel from them (if anyone remembers the in-car audio thread - cracking little toy), then found it was 10 cheaper on the manufacturers website.
Will I stop using them because of these problems?
of course not - its life in the grown up world
swallow your pride or buy another iron.. Life's too short
--
geoff

Exactly. Buy an iron from a firm who _will_ supply replacement parts on your terms.
For many years I've had a Weller PU-2D driving a TCP iron and it's never let me down.
As well as an ancient Weller (125W?) soldering gun which I haven't used for decades I have a ""Union BP53" variable temperature "station" which I bought for work and inherited when the office closed down several years ago.
--
Frank Erskine

harry expressed precisely :

Really, you obviously do not do much in the way of small repair work. I gave up on sticking old copper irons in the fire long ago lol

I would disagree. Many things are not intended to facilitate repair, but none the less they can be repaired. I've saved thousands of pounds simply repairing things rather than throwing things away.

Put simply - Because the value of stuff has dropped as the complexity and wages of experienced and capable staff has increased. The repairers these days at best just swap out complete modules. So likely as not a new module will then fail with exactly the same problem in the future.
Examples - our drier /washing machine stopped drying. I traced the problem to a none resetable bi-metal thermal trip. I drilled a tiny hole in a appropriate place in the the trip and reset it, after sorting out the cause of the trip - lint blocking the air flow.
Later on another fault developed, where the processor would regularly crash mid way through a program. I traced that issue to a failing 20p capacitor which I replaced with an uprated one, since when there have been no more issues. It had failed just outside the warranty period.
I have since found numerous others have have the very same issues with the same model and have been able to document the fix. Cost of a commercial repair was quoted as 170 - 200, which no doubt would fail 13 month later. Cost of my repair 20p + an hour of my time resulting in a more reliable repair. I am aware of at least a dozen others who have now been able to use my fixes, to sort there problem out - so obviously the designer cut corners in under specifying the part.
Four years ago I was given a top of the range dishwasher, which had failed after just a few months of use. It was installed in a commercial premises, so wasn't covered by a warranty and the cost of getting it repaired was close to the cost of a new one. I fixed that in just a few minutes an it is still going strong.
Not a matter of penny pinching, I derive some enjoyment from fixing the unfixable and learning something in the process.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 10:20:25 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I found a similar thing with a particular model of Brother knittng machine (one of the electronic ones). I ended up documenting the fix and sending out kits of capacitors to lots of people.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

I think that silly. Maplin will supply the spare part mail order at the same sort of low value order surcharge as RS etc. About 2.50 p&p. That you don't like the way the shops charge for special order stuff is cutting off your nose to spite your face.
--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

RS charge us 10 for things they don;t stock, and farnell charge us 15.95 for things their parent compnay newbury stock in the USA. Been waiting for 8 MOSFETs that's under 40p each from them which says 3 days delivery.
http://onecall.farnell.com/fairchild-semiconductor/rfd3055le/n-channel-mosfet-60v-11a-to-251aa/dp/2077579?Ntt=207-7579
I doubt the P&P for 8 of these is 16 even from the US first class !
On 14th March I was told they'd be despatched immediatley they become availible.
Oh and I brought one of those Maplin Irons a couple of years ago when they were on special offer for a little under 40 IIRC.