Power washer principle

We have one mounted on a trailer with a 300 gallon tank. Works fine - the bottom of the tank is at the same level as the base of the pump unit. It seems to work fine even when the tank nears empty.

Reply to
DanG

Does a power washer have to have pressurized water on the inlet, or will it draw from a tank source?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Needs a certain amount of pressure usually 40PSI for full output. I ran into this situation this summer with a partially clogged outside spigot not delivering me constant pressure while power washing a driveway with a 2700 PSI power washer. You could tell that the pressure on the gun was going up and down. Sometimes even pumping virtually nothing. I had to pull the packing nut off the spigot and remove and clean mineral buildup on the valve components.

Reply to
A. Baum

It works fine, there are just times when I want to use it where there is no spigot. It is a Karcher with a Honda engine.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Read your manual. There may be important tips like:

1.Do not idle the washer more than 5 minutes or pump damage may occur.
  1. Supply a pressurized source of water of X psi and X gpm.
3.ect.
Reply to
tnom

I remember that one unit I either owned, or considered. Needed 25 PSI inlet. or it would not run. Some where in my memory, I think it was a gas power unit I either borrowed, or wished I had.

The electric unit I have now. One time when my parents cellar flooded, I used it to help move water. Rated 1.3 GPM. But, with no nozzle, I'd guessed it ran more like

2.0 or better GPM. I had to pour water into the inlet tube, and then stuff it quickly into the water source. It wasn't self priming.

Pressure washers only run cold water. Because they rely on the water flow to help cool the pump.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The manual may mention a low pressure cut out. There is also just trying it out. I'd reccomend to fill the inlet hose with a pitcher, and then drop the hose rapidly into the source, trying not to let air in. Use a strainer like they sell for washing machine inlets.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Another vote for RTFM; Read The Furnished Manual.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Real men don't use manuals. Even the manual type of well, you know............

I got it at a yard sale. Guess I have to look up the model number and download. Sheesh. For forty bucks, they should have had a manual.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Mine will suck a hose flat if you turn the water source off. But don't expect a pressure washer to work without a certain GPM/PSI input. If I'm wrong so be it but i don't think I am. Why not look in your owner's manual or shoot Karcher off and email and ask them?

Reply to
A. Baum

It depends on the size of the Pressure washer and the location of the tank. What kind of pressure washer do you have?

Reply to
Airport Shuttle