Electric baseboard heat

Have a small unheated room to be used as a shop ... about 11 ft x 8 ft ... presently unheated. Plenty of power. Ground level. Plan on using electric baseboard heat. Any recommendation regarding types and brands of units.

Thanks.

Reply to
Pointer

Electric resistive is 100% efficient by nature but it is also the most expensive way to heat.

Stand alone room, or attached to garage or attached to house? No need to cool? How about a window unit ac/heat pump?

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Part of house. No need to cool. No windows (french outside doors). Want only electric baseboard heating.

Reply to
Pointer

No need to cool makes me think you're in the great white north. You'll pay a pretty penny to heat with resistive if you are. Features and price are pretty much all you need to compare, as I mentioned they are all equal efficiency.

Is there a compelling reason not to add the room to the existing heating system?

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I recently put in two 240-volt electric hydronic baseboard heating units and a wall thermostat in a former attic space that I refinished. Regular electric baseboad heating units cost less, but they are hotter to the touch etc. Electric hydryonic baseboard heaters are cooler to the touch and seem to give off a more even and more pleasant heat. I bought the electric hydronic baseboard heating units at Home Depot.

Even though hydronic units do cost more, my thinking is that you only pay that cost one time so it's worth it.

Here's the user manual that came with the units I bought:

Have a small unheated room to be used as a shop ... about 11 ft x 8 ft>

... presently unheated. Plenty of power. Ground level. Plan on> using electric baseboard heat. Any recommendation regarding types> and brands of units.>> Thanks.

Reply to
RogerT

I recently put in two 240-volt electric hydronic baseboard heating units and a wall thermostat in a former attic space that I refinished. Regular electric baseboad heating units cost less, but they are hotter to the touch etc. Electric hydryonic baseboard heaters are cooler to the touch and seem to give off a more even and more pleasant heat. I bought the electric hydronic baseboard heating units at Home Depot.

Even though hydronic units do cost more, my thinking is that you only pay that cost one time so it's worth it.

Here's the user manual that came with the units I bought:

Po> Have a small unheated room to be used as a shop ... about 11 ft x 8 ft

Reply to
RogerT

Located near Annapolis MD. Cost not a factor since shop is not used often. Three of the four walls are concrete or concrete block... none exposed to the sun, thus pretty cool in summer. Floor and roof are concrete. Simple solution is electric baseboard where a 240 volt service exists.

Reply to
Pointer

Another thing to consider is what kind of shop you will have. If it is a woodworking shop, I think you'll regret electric baseboard because the sawdust will constantly be smoking.

A low temp, radiant type heater would be more suitable.

Probably make more sense if you're going to repair electronics out there, too, as it is less likely to circulate dust that you don't want in that shop.

Curious how you came to choose electric. It is cheaper to install if you have the amps and has minimal upkeep . . . but it is god-awful expensive to operate in most parts of the country. [the TN valley might be an exception]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Many thanks. I too prefer something that is not too hot to the touch. What type, brand, etc. thermostat did you use?

Regards

Don

Reply to
Pointer

They are ALL "100% efficient" - but I'd go with a fan forced heater in that application - or an oil filled type as second (distant) choice.

Reply to
clare

> . Po>>> Have a small unheated room to be used as a shop ... about 11 ft x 8

You're welcome. I bought Fahrenheat electric hydronic baseboard heaters. They sell them at Home Depot and Lowes. I bought one at one of those stores, but I needed a second one in a specific size/length that they didn't carry (56 inches, I think). So, for the second one, I ordered it from Cooper Electric Supply from one of their New Jersey stores and picked it up the next day.

For a thermostat, I bought a wall-mounted Honeywell line voltage thermostat. It is just a manual thermostat and it runs off of the 240-volt power to the heater. I think Fahrenheat also makes the same type of wall mounted thermostats. The way that it is wired is that the power/feed goes to the thermostat, then from there to the heater unit. You can also buy thermostats that mount right on the heater unit itself, but I wanted a wall-mounted one.

I am pretty sure that Fahrenheat is made by Marley, or they are the same company, or something like that. Here's their website:

.

Reply to
RogerT

P.S. to my other posts: I just remembered that you said this is only an 11 ft by 8 ft room. Fahrenheat (Marley) also makes 110-volt portable electric hydronic baseboard heaters. You may just want to get one of those and plug it into a regular wall outlet.

Here's a link to that web page:

Also, the Marley customer service pe> Have a small unheated room to be used as a shop ... about 11 ft x 8 ft

Reply to
RogerT

Thanks again. Actually heating was an afterthought. I have a only two

115 v circuits in the room and three 240 v circuits (two wire). None of the latter are really needed and for one the wire which comes out of the bottom of the wall. I was getting ready to put it back in the wall, run it up and put in an outlet (which probably would never be used) for safety. Then a light went off which said baseboard heating.

Don

Reply to
Pointer

Depends on the area... we've got about 14kW of electric baseboard and it actually works out slightly cheaper than propane (although not by much). Ours are under load-control so don't run all the time (the propane furnace picks up the slack as needed) but that's less of an issue if you're insulated up to the eyeballs, and the rate's not bad (I think around 4c/kWh)

Our electric co. are picky about what we can hook up to it, but they'd probably allow storage heaters, which might be useful for a shop.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I know this isn't what you asked. But, I'm remembering the time I had baseboard electric. My energy bills were unbelievable high. Lot of money to use electric. If it's all possible to duct off your furnace, or put in a fuel heater. It's a good idea to consider.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You are correct.

Reply to
Pointer

That said.... it may not be practical. Without being there to scope it out, we can't speak for your needs. Well, we can. But we'd likely to be mistaken.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon