Sole Trader business software . anyone?

Wouldn't be worth their while with the admin?

I have in the past resisted their requests for me to de-register... including them sending a nice lady round to have tea and biscuits with, and check up on the sparcity of ink in the books, (excluding those entries that notionally put the tea and biscuits down as a business expense...)

Reply to
Adrian C

On Sat, 8 May 2010 11:10:05 +0100, tony sayer gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

I have a bookeeper/accountant (first time) and I dont think she is very good. I mentioned about claiming for a bit of heating/office etc at home, and she started on about house business rates so best avoid claiming for PC ..paper .. office part of room etc.. I was/am 2 yrs behind with tax return. so I was reccomemded to her. After a month of having books, I dont believe she has even started.

Lesson learnt.

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

On Sat, 08 May 2010 11:40:35 +0100, BodgeIt gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

Approx 100 invoices a year

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

It very much depends upon whether the room is primarily used for business or for domestic use and whether it has been specially adapted for business use. A desk in the corner of the lounge used occasionally is not likely to attract business rates. A garage converted into a dedicated office is. Then again, a business that justifies a dedicated office in the garage may well recover more from claiming for its expenses than it ends up paying in rates, particularly with small business relief.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Pedantic key text:- " years ago" "back then" cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

So if its your garage that the firms paying you for then thats counted as your own personal income which is then taxed;?..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Mike P the 1st scribeth thus

She might be partly right there..

Well chivvy her up then!..

Reply to
tony sayer

OK ...

Well prolly the better what you know etc;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

FYI Dave, all accounts packages behave in this way. The idea of an accounts package (as opposed to a spreadsheet) is that there is an audit trail. If you put the wrong amount in then you can't just change the amount and make it as if the incorrect value never happened. What you must do is make a "journal adjustment" of the amount. The reason for this is that, in the event of a mistake going unnoticed for a while, all sorts of calculations, invoices, cash flow forecasts and possibly even VAT and tax returns could be made based on the wrong numbers. You need to know what the mistaken amount was *and* when the mistake was made

*and* when it was corrected in order to figure out how to get yourself out of a forecast/cash flow/VAT/Tax discrepancy. The journal gives you this info. Excel keeps no such record.

As it is, with a spreadsheet, you can change the numbers any time you like and if you amend a figure nobody will be any the wiser unless you make a point of keeping different incremental versions/printouts of your spreadsheet showing different amounts in the same cell.

HTH DaveyOz

Reply to
Dave Osborne

I'm not quite sure how that question relates to liability for business rates.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On Sat, 8 May 2010 16:42:03 +0100, tony sayer gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

I did !

She said she would have the first year done in a fortnights time. So that is 6 weeks !

What peeved me at the start was that I had written everything down in one of those WH Smiths accounting books. All paperwork filed in order and in relevant folders etc etc. She said that she would have to re write it into another accounts book, costing £30 @ £14/hr for the whole job.

I blame myself, as I missed the online deadline and never got back into it. Am beginning to wonder if I should thank her for what she has done so far and go elsewhere.

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

I would. I've never trusted book keepers over accountants since I had one who managed to get over 400 compensating errors in one year's accounts. The books appeared to balance, but were complete rubbish.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I started our shop on an old copy of Quickbooks. You should be able to pick up an old copy with serial number/license etc for a small sum. You don't need the latest version as long as it runs on your O/S Suitable for job costing, and/or stock control etc. They "sunset" versions very quickly but I was running on Quickbooks Pro

6.0 for the first 7 years from 1999 most of which was after it was no longer supported. Would still work for you but you might need a PC on XP or earlier.

Pete

--

and Home Gym Equipment & Sports Nutrition etc

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

should perhaps also mention that we now run on Quickbooks 2004 (also extinct) which does all the VAT 100 and everything else. Accountant just has a copy of the database on CDR and does our accounts from that.

Simple. :¬)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Pedantic key text: "may do what you want tho?" [your words]

Common sense answer: "No it bloody well won't!"

So why on earth did you suggest something that was taken off the market five years ago?

Reply to
Bruce

Been there, done that. ;-)

(I'm sure many people will have done exactly the same)

Reply to
Bruce

As long as the room is not exclusively used for business and has other uses then its fine - no different from anyone else working at home really.

I am not sure how it works for sole traders, but for directors of a company there are usually standard amounts that can be allowed for "use of home as office"

Reply to
John Rumm

Which with a decent backup routine one would actually have - although it might bee tedious to find where an error was introduced.

Reply to
John Rumm

Blindingly obvious answer for pedants : "because I didn't know it was taken off the market 5 years ago".

Are you saying "it won't work for the OP's needs" because its 5 years old? ISTR the OP wants to keep simple accounts......

Does your "untried" software recommendation come with any more support or guarantees?

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

Because you couldn't be arsed to check before recommending it?

Perhaps you've been eating too much asbestos flavour yoghurt recently.

It wasn't a recommendation. If your English comprehension is really that inadequate you should be going to remedial English classes.

Reply to
Bruce