Soldering wet/dripping pipes

Absolutely. Cylinder types are ideal for those using them all the time but a nonsense for the odd job. I'm still using my ancient Camping Gaz one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just looking around the SF site, they rate blow torches in watts. The cheap 'peirced can' type torch which looks similar to my Taymar is rated at 250w, wheras the next one up

rated at 680w - over twice as powerful. Would that be described as professional or would I need to go up to a 1200w + version?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

These are highly rated:

Very useful as it can be used upside down, unlike many other torches.

And all the quality plumbing tools here:

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I've got a Bernzomatic. Can't find my model anywhere but I think this must be the current version of it:

SFX don't sell the gas canisters!

shows the canister (fitted to a 'pencil torch').

I find this good for up to 28mm and it can deal with very slightly dripping pipes if you crank it up to full bore (i.e the drips get boiled off before they can reach the joint).

Reply to
John Stumbles

B&Q was selling one of these with a pencil torch and a bottle of gas. Covers most DIY jobs. Not sure if they still sell them.

Chewbacca

Have a look at the Sievert range - they do a couple of really nice handheld burners. You can fit a variety of nozzles, and spares are always available - and the kits just lasts and lasts. The Turbojet looks interesting.

Stephen Howard

A.Lee expressed precisely :

If you look around you can get them much cheaper than that. I paid around £20 for mine.

Agreed and a very hot flame .

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

>>> is rated at 680w - over twice as powerful. Would that be described

Funny enough I had a look at the Bernzomatic site, very informative. Had to go to B&Q for some fittings (I'm fitting TRV's to all our rads this weekend - busmans holiday).

Ended up buying a Bernzomatic UL100 propane pencil torch for £20. Ideal for me, puts out a lot of heat in a very controllable area. Three times the heat output of my Taymar.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , George writes

The Taymar things are OK if you're not doing much soldering or need an emergency repair 'out of hours'. I'd rather have one than nothing but...

I inherited a 'proper' plumber's torch and cylinder from my father in law who was a proper plumber and I've used it plenty of times. It makes the job quick and easy compared to the Taymar thing I have which is now lurking at the back of the shed.

I also bought a Rothenburger Quickfire a few years ago for a work project and I'd recommend those as well for working in small spaces as the flame is smaller and less 'scary' but well up to the job.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

I got a little Bernzomatic X154 recently - it can sit upright on its base for hands free use - and it's a super little thing. I used it for repairing a split in some lead.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not sure which that one is but I had the one with just a brass nozzle about 10mm dia and valve (no piezo). Fine for 15mm and OK for 22mm but didn't really hack 28mm. Had a go with a client's[1] piezo ignition job with the plastic part of the body and smaller stainless nozzle and was converted.

[1] Christian McArdle, late of this parish (but thankfully not 'late' as in another prolific contributor: C.McA is still very much kicking, just not hanging out here any more).
Reply to
John Stumbles

Good to hear - wondered what had become of him!

Reply to
Lobster