Soldering tails

Don't you like that? I love it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

A brass furrel. I just looked in Wiki and it's like a brass monkey but it lives in your trousers.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I've got a ferret hanging up my nose How it got the no one knows .....

Reply to
charles

Thanks, but I'm looking for something more definitive than word if mouth though. Anyone?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I have been having a problem with evening september, that's the reason for multiple responses.

Reply to
harryagain

"evening september"?

Reply to
ARW

Why would a link to some dodgy website provide more authoritative information that you can get here?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

As harry would say, "bollix"

Reply to
John Rumm

I find it difficult to assess the correct torque on a terminal screw, for being brass or copper alloy I am concerned over shearing the head or one side of the slotted head.

One issue is that heat through contact resistance will temperature cycle the terminal leading to a further loosening the grip, and increased resistance.

Reply to
Fredxxx

LOL - that's the best excuse for giving eveningly wrong answers.

Reply to
Fredxxx

If you use a screwdriver with a blade the same width as the screw head, you can make it good and tight.

Have you ever sheared a screw in a terminal? Can't say I have, and mine don't come loose.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I didn't specify a "dodgy website". Clearly the consensus here is that it's a bad idea. I just thought that if this is generally agreed, there might be some sort of authoritative directive from a respected source saying "thou shalt not solder tails" (or words to that effect).

A lot easier (and more convincing) to post a link than to copy and paste a bunch of anecdotes.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I'm not surprised if that's what you are trying to use.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Eternal--- septober.

Reply to
F Murtz

I was taught that at the Pye factory where I started work but only to hold the ends of the strands together, the screw went onto the unsoldered copper wire part....

Crimps..

Thats the best method, decent crimp pliers, ratchet ones a must:)...

Reply to
tony sayer

BS7671 17th Edition

526.02

"where a soldered connection is used the design shall take account of creep, mechanical stress and temperature rise under fault current conditions"

Which while not exactly on topic, does imply that one must allow for creep when using soldered connections.

(also keep in mind that when clearing a fault, on a circuit already at maximum design load, the final conductor temperature could be 170 deg C

- one would not want solder tinning relaxing at just the wrong moment!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yeah, his memory is responsible for the content of those multiple responses.

Reply to
John Rumm

I must treat myself to a pair of these, having just made 32 crimps by "hand" (two sets of V8 ignition leads.)

Reply to
Huge

No but you might get one. How can you tell? Even the most respected names sometimes emit bollocks. Look at Global Warming. If you believe everything the 'definitive experts', the IPCC, say you would be led right up the garden path.

You have here in this group people with many years practical experience and no axe to grind. What could be more authoritative, in reality? You would prefer something written by a kid who's done a few tests in lab conditions but happens to work for a big firm?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

These ones are fine, the cheaper version without the heavy jaws and ratchet are useless...

Reply to
tony sayer