Soldering tails

At work, years before the WWW, I saw a graph of solder's strength v. temperature. The strength falls off rather quickly (I can't remember the 'worrying point') and I'm not happy with solder above about 80 - 100C if there's any strain on the joint. We were concerned with this aspect as our tests on PCBs were -54 - +85C,

2.2g, 400h test time.
Reply to
PeterC

*I'm* convinced. That's not the problem. I was hoping that there was some authoritative advice that I could share on another forum. Clearly a link to a good/respected source would be easier that a cut and paste job from here.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I prefer Eternal SeptSober

Reply to
ARW

When soldering 81 strand (or similar) auto cables I bind the two ends together with 0.3 tinned wire. It works well.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I made up some EDIS leads using new cable and reclaimed connectors. EDIS plug leads are 8mm diameter, and my existing BNC crimp tool made a perfect job of them. Total cost including used leads from a scrappie under 30 quid. I'd have otherwise needed custom made ones to get the correct length at about 150.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are a few such joints in the original loom in my old Rover so done by Lucas - usually where one wire becomes two, a 'Y'. They are secured by a crimp then soldered. So if I need to do the same, I remove the plastic from a suitable size insulated coupler (as I have lots here) crimp that then solder, having first put some heat shrink in place. This low profile connection then becomes near invisible when wrapped with loom tape.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, probably using a crap screwdriver.

I have had a couple of shower pull-cord switches get hot and issues where the terminal had loosened over a period of a few years.

Reply to
Fredxxx

It doesn't really work that way. You need to find the spec for the connectors in use and see if they are specified for soldered tails.

There are connectors designed for this (I have some), but they are for momentary/temporary use only, for test purposes, and use springs to maintain pressure if the solder deforms.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

ISTR it is or used to be common to "tin the ends" of speaker wires & similar fine stranded cables --- but is that because the jacks for those are spring-loaded? (I wonder if that custom is where people get the mistaken idea of tinning/soldering stranded cable in general.)

Reply to
Adam Funk

Interesting how many products are supplied where tails are tinned .. maybe it's not an issue on smaller c/s area conductors

Reply to
Rick Hughes

It's already been explained. Makes for easy testing in the factory. In the days when stuff came without a mains plug but tinned leads I've seen instructions supplied with it saying to cut off the tinned end before fitting the plug.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)