Typing in a web forum page -slow down?

This problem is only evident on one web site -

I try to type out a post and there is a variable delay between hitting a letter and the letter appearing in my intended post. Likewise schrolling up or down, a delay. The delay can be anything from 0 to 7 seconds between the key and the letter appearing.

Closing Firefox and restarting it, reloads the same tabs. Then my typing works normally for a while.

I am using Firefox 64 and Win10 64, on a reasonably fast laptop.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Their website coding. Clearing cache may help.

Moneysavingexpert's new reincarnation used to be like using vecce on a VAX 11/750

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

I get exactly the same on the Daily Express comments site It is probably an asynchronous Ajax call to some back end web server blocking the browser screen update. Or even a synchronous one. Firefox just doesn't deal with whatever it is very well

You are lucky to max out at 7 seconds. I've seen over a minute

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have seen that in FF when it has been open a few days. Restarting it, then selecting "restore previous session" normally fixes it for me.

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm explained on 27/09/2021 :

I wonder what causes it and only on (I guess) certain web sites?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

What causes it is that some other process grabs or blocks the CPU and that has to mean JavaScript.

I cant remember whether what happens is the browser blocks waiting for a remote site to respond or whether it blocks with super high CPU. Anyway its indicative of the typically shit web design you get from 'frameworks' cobbled together to deliver as many adverts per square inch from as many diverse sources as possible, using as many 'creatives' as possible all entirely without involvement of any engineer who actually knows how to write JavaScript or HTML

In short Websites, By ArtStudents?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ROFL

Reply to
Andrew

Wow, that takes me back (and doesn't solve your issue). Airline reservation VDUs used to be totally dumb with 1K screens attached to a

9600 baud line (if you were lucky). You hit a key and the "request" for that character went upline to a controller (which might be in the same office but could be several hundred miles away) then back to the terminal where it was displayed. Most of the time the lag was miniscule (you couldn't see it) but occasionally you had to wait for the character to appear on the screen and when you had finally typed the query the response started scrolling out very slowly across the screen. Because the VDU was totally dumb turning it off and on didn't do the trick, you had to do it at the controller end which would be servicing something like 60 other terminals so you had to warn everyone else (you could send unsolicited messages from the controller) that a reset would occur at a specified time.

I once went with a UK system to Australia. We had to use dial ups to be able to demonstrate it and that went via the hotel switchboard to the international switchboard then (I think) to a switchboard in Singapore and so on until it got to our controllers in London. It was amazing that it worked and typing was generally responsive. When you finally sent the request to the Qantas machine just down the road in Sydney(?) the message went through our telephone lash up to our controllers in the UK then to BOAC in London who used a SITA comms line back to Sydney then the whole process reversed. The response time was less than 10 seconds to get back the answer to the query which we reckoned was good (but not compared to our responses in the UK), the locals were impressed! The problem was shift change in the various exchanges. The new operator would go through their plugs listening for conversations between humans and several times we got cut off in mid demonstration when all they heard was modem tones, didn't recognise it and pulled the plug.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

Ha! I have an implementation of ECCE (not VECCE) right here on this PC.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reply to
John Brown

Owain Lastname snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Agreed that it is generally inept or intentionally manipulative coding on the site.

An alternative is to compose replies in a text editor and copy/paste in to reply window. The freedom from stress outweighs the inconvenience IMV.

Reply to
Peter Burke

The Natural Philosopher was thinking very hard :

I have a FF addon blocking ads, might that be the cause?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Welcome to my world. One of the main reasons why I use newsgroups is the variable delay on web based platforms and the completely different interfaces of every one of them. From my blind aspect using keyboard it is intensely irritating to use the incorrect key sequence and find your whole typed message never existed. Bah humbug.

Have you tried different browsers? I find some browsers like the new Edge are much faster on some online edit fields than firefox are. Reason, your guess is as good as mine, but probably to do with the efficiency of the javascript parser and the code of the page. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

No, it generally helps Turning off javascript is the answer, but then the site may go unusable

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher