Best web forum?

I don't want to start a pro/anti argument about usenet, some people can be arsed with the dickheads, some can't, I can't but seem morbidly forced to read every post in every pointless thread in particular those in the ebay group.

I have just unsubcribed to all the affected groups and there is only this one left in my list, so if I decide to can usenet altogether what is/are the best web forums out there?

TIA, Rick

Reply to
R D S

Why not use the simple killfile system in Outlook Express 6 that you seem to be using as a News Reader to sort out the posts/posters that you don't want to read?

Trouble is, that one persons 'best web forum' is anothers persons poison - so the question that you pose is unanswerable really - just simply go through the 100,000 plus news groups/forums and see what 'turns you on'.

Unbeliever

Reply to
Unbeliever

What makes you think there are no dick heads on forums? Moderated ones might be better from that point of view but usually lacking in other ways. I also hate the layout of them - usenet is so much easier.

A better way might be to get a newsreader with easily used killfiles and filters.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's another usenet group too, with a very different flavour to here: free.uk.diy.home

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Which is why I will reply to you! You sound like one if you can't even use a computer or a search engine. Stop being lazy, make the effort to go and find what you need, then do us all a favour and unsubscribe from this group too.

Reply to
M Peters

Yep. Very quiet over there. I usually send them over here.

No one seems to find the d-i-y when they search for newsgroups.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Has the Christmas spirit got to you then?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

And I rest my case.

Reply to
R D S

Oh i'm sure there are, but let's face it, usenet harbours some of the real dregs.

I find some of the message boards better to be honest.

Well i've been killfiling in some of the groups I use and ended up unsubscribing when I realised there was little left. This group is good, long may it stay that way but it is the last one I am now subscribing to.

Reply to
R D S

Reply to
R D S

Is a solitary usenet group subscription /so/ different from a login to one webforum, which in general is not portable to any other forum?

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, but I will get tempted to revisit old groups to see what's going on and before long they will all be back there in the list. Inevitably I will waste my time trawling through a load of drivel before being drawn into an argument and end up being called a f****it, which will bother me much more than it should. It has got a little boring and I reaslise that it is my fault/problem before anyone points that out.

Reply to
R D S

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "R D S" saying something like:

But that's normal, as you well know. Not necessarily normal for you, iyswim, but NFU - Normal For Usenet.

I think you're being a precious little flower.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "R D S" saying something like:

That's that Ian Beale wanker again. Ignore him. Or Keel Heem if you like.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "R D S" saying something like:

Try this one - it's not too bad, but still one or two fuckwits, as you would expect. Fuckwittery comes in all shapes and sizes, you know.

Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , R D S writes

Like the dickheads who post crap like this

"I pulled the laminate up from our bathroom floor to replace it with lino. The floor isn't in bad condition but there are a couple of boards which are thinner than the rest, unnoticable before but now more obvious when you step there. It isn't bothering me enough to warrant doing anything drastic but I have wondered about 'plastering' over the depressed parts with something. I guess it would have to be something uncrumbly, any ideas on something that would work well? Best I can come up with is a bit of tarmac :)"

rather than think for themselves?

Reply to
geoff

Unbeliever coughed up some electrons that declared:

I just showed uk.d-i-y to someone who'd never seen it (or USENET) before.

I showed them a Google Groups window and a Thunderbird to NNTP session and left them to it for an hour.

Guess which one they preferred?

Personally, USENET, IMO kicks the crap out of all web forums. Quicker to reply, quicker to intersperse sentences between bits of quoted material, easier (possible at all) to killfile people, threads, and other arbitray things.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I subscribe to and run a few magic Yahoo Groups which I find far better than web based forums or usenet groups like UK-DIY.

Let me qualify that by saying that the content and the crack around here is first class, but its unmoderated.

I don't use groups where I have to visit a site to see whats going on & then search through categories. The Screwfix forums are like this & I just can't be arsed. PITA.

I like things delivered to my inbox like UK-DIY. The problem with groups like this are that they are open to spammers & wankers who only wish to attack others.

I don't mind a good row, but there are some twisted, sad people out there.

The Yahoo Groups I run are by & large used for sensible discussions. Any OTT flame wars I can stop easily by moderating the posts or banning the members - although I've only had to do that once in 8+ years.

The UK Magic usenet group was simply destroyed by one particular idiot who just attacked every post raised. He wanted to join one of my Yahoo Groups & I refused access. He eventually joined under another name, but as soon as he started his crap I removed him.

I'd much prefer UK-DIY as a Yahoo Group personally, as long as it had a strong but fair moderator running it.

Just my 2p's worth.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

One of the worst things about some (all?) of the moderated groups is the time delay. We sometimes see useful interactions with several back-and-forth posts within a few minutes. That would almost certainly disappear.

As for Yahoo groups. I don't know why, but the two I use are dreadful - only about half of the posts are in threads - even when logically they are mostly responses to posts. I get every post sent to me - as I am utterly sick of the difficulty of reading posts in a browser. I only stick with them because of the interest I have in a very specific subject. And they still get spam, some abuse, etc. (You have to join up but I don't think there is a moderation process.)

Reply to
Rod

Though AFAIK in most or all moderated web forums (fora?) the moderation takes place retrospectively; ie the mod sees something naughty and pulls it. So no loss of immediacy there.

David

Reply to
Lobster