solder

It's likely one of these things an experienced welder might be able to make work OK.

It's a skill I've never mastered. Despite having a fairly decent MIG and practising. Mainly to weld the thin stuff on car bodywork. Thicker stuff is easier.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can weld straight runs without too many problems, but that's about it. I do not have the experience to know whether what I tried was possible with my gear.

I suppose really, that like plastering, I will just have to accept that is a skill I will never be able to master :-(

I took the door to a welder in the end and he accopmlished it using a MIG device. I suppose the one face saving thing was that he did say at the start he couldn't guarantee it would work. He was probably being kind :-)

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Some but not a lot. Poorer arc stability compared to better ones, harder to strike, but did the job.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

MIG is the ideal welder for that sort of thing. And gasless MIG is the cheap MIG unless you're using it frequently.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr