Soil Stack Plumbing Question

We have a soil stack (I think that's what it's called) that runs down the corner of our house from the upstairs en-suite down into the kitchen below. The en-suite currently has a shower running down the soil stack but no toilet. We would like to add a toilet to the stack but quite a few plumbers that i've had look at it have said that we're not allowed to install a toilet into a soil stack that runs through into and is shared by the kitchen.

However, one bathroom installer has said that it's not a problem. He's already done the same for a relative of mine who has the exact same house and did a blinding job and they've had no problems at all.

What I would like to know is, given the afore mentioned, will it conform with building regs? Or will having it done be OK but will be opening a can of worms if I ever had to sell the property?

Cheers.

Reply to
RedOnRed

I put a new bathroom in a house I was converting about 3 years back, where the 4" soil pipe came down from the bathroom into the kitchen, ran along the kitchen wall/ceiling attached to the joists (all boxed in of course), then went down vertically at the far end, inside a walk-in cupboard, where the kitchen waste ran into it.

Building Control had no problems with it at all - sounds quite similar to your proposed setup? The main concern was the provision of plenty of rodding points, so the pipework could be readily unblocked if needs be - that was sensible and no problem to comply with.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Nothing wrong with a toilet and and a kitchen sharing a soil stack, there must be some other detail of the layout that's a problem.

Chapter and verse of the rules here:

dom

Hmmm, the rodding points sound like a sensible consideration. I have to say though that our bathroom that runs down into the downstairs cloakroom doesn't seem to have any. Is that normal, or just par for the course when they built the house back in the lates 70's?

Reply to
RedOnRed

Cheers for that.

It's just that ever since the other plumbers warned me off doing it I've had this recurring vision (should I have the work done) of shit exploding into my kitchen and some turd landing in the christmas turkey. Obviously a vision from hell I want to make sure that I avoid at all costs and I in no way want to contravene building regs either.

Reply to
RedOnRed

and some turd landing in the christmas turkey.

Oh, you've already got Nigella's latest recipe!

mark

Reply to
Mark

Top of the stack is (was 20 years ago) an acceptable rodding point, as is removing the appliance, so a straight stack would be acceptable. 100mm stack would accept WC, 75mm might, subject to where the lowest appliance enters. A slow bend is required at the base.

Reply to
<me9

Thus spake RedOnRed ( snipped-for-privacy@abc.net) unto the assembled multitudes:

No, that's just old Uncle Norman getting drunk again.

Reply to
A.Clews

I wonder if there might be a syphonic problem, or the suspicion of one by the plumbers who say it shouldn't be done, at least.

Reply to
Colin Murphy