Soffit Lighting - GU10

I'm looking to have some recessed lights added to a new wood based soffit. Are there any regulations when fitting lighting to a soffit ? I've read various things, but would appreciate it if someone could clarify. This will probably be subject to building control signoff, as it's part of a larger project.

o Do they need to be IP65 ? o Do they need to be fire rated or hooded ? o Is wattage required to be limited to 35W near flammible surface ?

Thanks in advance, Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart

Not unless they are likely to be subject to low pressure water jets

Flammable rated lighting will be needed if wood soffits are flammable (I would assume that they are). The fire hoods and fire rating are a different thing and are to stop fire spreading between fireproofed floors NOT to stop the luminarie starting the fire. I cannot see you needing fire hood in this case.

That may be dependant upon the manufacturers instructions. Some lights are only F rated if a 35 W lamp is fitted.

Why not use low energy lights? No heat (almost) and it will save you and the enviroment loads.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

On 22 Jun 2006 11:28:26 -0700 someone who may be "Stuart" wrote this:-

Why not use compact fluorescent lights? Even if you are not interested in reducing greenhouse gas emissions they will cost less to run and not fail so often.

Reply to
David Hansen

similar effect would be appreciated. I would love to keep the wattage down and get a similar effect to the downlighters. Thought that once I added the GU10's, I could try the multi LED replacement fittings to see how they fare.

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart

GU10 CFL's are available.

They are similar efficiency to the filament lamps. Since you can can only get them rated at a few watts, and they have an incredibly narrow beam, you can work out how remarkably useless they will be for most applications.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On 22 Jun 2006 21:41:48 GMT someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote this:-

Indeed. Also compact fluorescent replacements for reflector bulbs that will fit in standard downlighters.

All available from the usual suppliers, of which there are many and lots have been listed in this group.

Reply to
David Hansen