Socket outlet on cooker circuit

Is it legitimate to have a socket outlet on a non-RCD-protected cooker circuit, so long as the socket has an integral RCD (e.g. TLC CM

4906)? I am assuming appropriate cable rating, of course.

Richard.

Richard Russell

and socket outlet, not a separate outlet to the cooker switch.

The RCD requirement applies to protection of the cabling from the CU to the outlet, rather than just the socket outlet - and given that the conditions set by the 17th Ed cover almost all cabling, effectively, yes, it needs to be RCD protected, but at the CU end.

Even if your cabling is exempted, there is an additional requirement for RCD protection if the socket is likely to be used for appliances outdoors.

Reply to
dom

The practical concern is loading. You wouldn't want to plug a kettle into an already well-loaded cooker circuit. You could argue this with any circuit though. Since the MCB protects the circuit cable, it's not a safety concern - just a pointless addition if it's going to trip all the time.

There's no regulation to stop you hanging socket(s!) off the cooker circuit, before or even after the isolator switch if the rated load isn't exceeded, or you manage it with an FCU.

We have a socket _off_ the 40A Cooker isolator, behind the oven to feed the hob ignition only. 32A cooker circuit. Not sure what the cable to the socket should be in this case, but since it's next to (and run off) the cooker connector (itself run in 6mm) I've not worried about what the last 10cm to the socket should be and used

2.5mm T+E.

In my Mum's house, there's a set of wall lights run off the cooker circuit. No FCU. Wired like this in 1969, but I can't imagine that was allowed even then (assuming that part was run in 1mm T+E - never checked).

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

RCDs and cable protection.

It is probably legal to have a socket like yours if it was installed according to the 16th edition rules.

Reply to
ARWadsworth