Socket behind wall mounted TV

Hello,

What do the regs say about a socket behind a wall mounted TV? Is it like a washing machine where there must be some accessible means of isolating the appliance without moving it?

The TV will be in the middle of some bedroom units, with drawer units below and bridging units above. I don't mind a visible isolator or maybe I can put the socket in the bridging unit.

But what do the regs say on this?

Thanks,

Graham

Reply to
Graham Jones

Unless you're doing a complete rewire, it's likely this socket will be a spur? So why not fit an FCU alongside the socket you're spurring from? However, I'd not bother. TV sets all have a perfectly adequate on/off switch. They don't have to be left on standby.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=A0 London SW

My Sony Bravia, two years old only switches off at the socket, so far as I have ever been able to find.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I don't know which precise model you've got, but I've just downloaded a Bravia user manual - picked at random - and that shows a power button on the right hand side, above the channel up/down and volume up/down controls. See whether yours has one there.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It only has a standby button there; the manual refers to a different model 'greener' with an off-on switch.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

In message , at

07:12:25 on Sun, 12 Feb 2012, Jonathan remarked:

I had a flat screen TV that wouldn't switch on, and eventually found a very hidden rocker switch somewhere around the periphery.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I have 2 Bravias, they both have power buttons.

Reply to
Huge

Likewise my Samsung LCD. The so-called power switch is a momentary contact button that takes the set in and out of standby.

Reply to
Graham.

Not much explicitly...

Socket in the bridging unit would probably be easier for a number of reasons.

Reply to
John Rumm

I thought that too, but there's a genuine on/off switch at the side, cunningly disguised by being tiny, jet black and never looked for.

Reply to
grimly4

If it is a Bravia 40EX503 or similar (40 =3D size, 40x or 50x at least) then indeed they do not have any on/off switch, In that years range only the HX type had an on/off.

John

Reply to
JohnW

Can you find two TV channels worth watching?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

But those take the things down to standby IIRC - the remote will still power them on.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

nothing. Its jsut another socket.

NT

Reply to
NT

The wiring regs don't require that; it's simply something people choose to do. Washing machines don't require emergency switching, and (TTBOMK) they all have a functional on/off switch that disconnect all the innards from the mains (usually with the exception of the mains input radio interference filter).

The /Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations/ (published by the IET) recommends:

"socket-outlets supplying appliances pushed under a work-surface, e.g. dishwashers, tumble driers and fridges should be accessible when the appliance is pulled out"

Such sockets should be unswitched. Any additional isolator that you choose to provide should be accessible and not hidden at the back of a cupboard.

Reply to
Andy Wade

It is indeed one of those.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

In message , at 08:16:59 on Mon, 13 Feb

2012, Andy Wade remarked:

That's another thing wrong with my rented house: the socket for the washing machine is actually in the wall behind the fridge. And guess which drain froze the other day, resulting in hot soapy water being pumped all over the kitchen floor...

Reply to
Roland Perry

The main reason for putting the sockets for such appliances in the cupboards next to them is so the machines will push all the way back to the wall.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Also allows them to be unplugged before moving them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But maybe not moved very far - unless the hole in the intermediate panel is big enough for the plug to pass through!

Reply to
Roger Mills