So how much power does an oil filled radiator actually use.

Define ON in this situation ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yesterday I went to the rescue of an elderly family friend who had fallen over trying to turn off the three kilowatt fan heater that is in his room as it got too hot when the CH kicked in? [1]

I think they are quite efficient in that all the energy they consume is converted into heat, ignoring the energy required to illuminate the On lamp etc. ;-)

A fan heater might mix the air better but you have the noise and the energy used in the fan, some of which will also be converted to heat etc.

We have several oil filled rads here and of the two extremes. eg, one has a 700w element in a very small body (3 fins) and that tends to cycle on it's upper limit stat whilst the other is a long low flat panel, also of similar wattage that behaves / works very well in that it only cycles on the thermostat.

Also, because it is actually dissipating all the energy into the room efficiently, it doesn't reach the same high surface temperature as the small one so doesn't tend to creak and click as much as it isn't expanding and contracting as much ... and possibly a better design in that way.

I was going to look more into the heat-pump jobbies as I believe it is said they are even more efficient than a straight resistive heater?

Cheers, T i m

[1] Is it still typical for people to run their gas CH twice a day ... especially if they are elderly / infirm? I suggested that running a 3kW fan heater in one room might be less efficient than running the hose CH, considering they have thermostatic rad valves already?
Reply to
T i m

Assuming the thermostat never trips off and so the heater is on for the entire time then (ignoring and load / wattage variations) then it will be 17 - 09 (hrs) x 2 x (so 16) x whatever you pay per kWh for your electricity (20p?). So that's £3.20 / rad per day (worst case) but that soon becomes over 60 quid per weekday month (~£240 / q / rad).

Above x 5

The heaters aren't powerful enough for that environment.

Ok.

2kW (if I understand it right and how I would expect it to work logically).

Ok.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I thought it was 13A because that is the max rating for an plugged in appliance.

So does that means I could safely run two 10A appliances from the same wall outlet?

Reply to
pamela

pamela presented the following explanation :

From a twin socket outlet, yes.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

clockwise in it's maxium position what electrical power will the heater us e and how much will it cost to leave it on from 9-5.

So what power will one radaitor consumer when set to maxium on and the ther mostat doesnlt trigger ?

and so the heater is on for

Sorry I don't understand the calculation where does 17 come into it and whe re does 9 and the x 2 come into it.

Lets just keep it simple with ONE radiator that is 2KW.

ened 16C as stated in the 1992 factories act section 7.

yes I know and it makes me wonder what sort of genious has decided to orde r them about 20 was the last count, still waiting for them to arrive.

mory as I can't find the paper I wrote it down on a few days ago.

I too started thinking logically, but the facts showed something else.

So why was it showing 705W ?

turns naround to check actually it's currently 718W

This is my question.

So far I've tested 3 and they are all very similar so I doubt it's a faulty product.

elivered but look the same with very similar specs and look pretty much the same.

Reply to
whisky-dave

5pm = 17:00, 9am = 9, 2kW heater
Reply to
Andy Burns

Starting a sentence with "So" is a totally unnecessary and annoying affectation. If you need a source of interview material overburdened by guests who respond with this affectation, just watch any of the "Sky at Night" programmes made during the past decade. You can virtually guarantee that *every* 'expert's' response to a question will commence with the word "So,". It's as if all the experts that appear on the programme are afflicted with a very specific (and rather boring) form of "Tourettes".

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Well, their suitability could be down to the side effects of the alternatives. Like, if you were to use IR / radiant heaters they could be considered a fire risk and an industrial blower / fan heater could be too noisy. Decent central heating would be best but obviously not on the hurry up..

So are you asking why it's currently showing ~700 W or why it's fluctuating around 700W

If it's the latter than the measured power will be a function of the supply voltage (that you have already told us fluctuates) and the resistance will change with temperature that may also account for some variation.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

So what?

See, it does change the meaning sometimes ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

A 2kw heater that is full on III both LEDs lit and currently, checks again 721W (215V @ 3.34A)

This is what I found confusing.

Reply to
whisky-dave

What does it say on the unit?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The use of "so" when replying to an interviewer's questions seems contrived. Like a sort of attempted segue. It seems so widespread that I wonder if it's a technique they acquire in interview training or from some guide?

However, I wouldn't call "so" a conjunction.

Reply to
pamela

Yes well the first idea was 40 convector heaters were ordered but we had to inform those that ordered them that the college had banned them for use in labs and offices.

Yes why is a 2KW heater only drawing 700W when fully on, if it was up to temperatury I'd expect it to disconneced with a bimetalic strip or something more advanced and would be 0W not 700W.

I can understand some variation due to voltage fluctuation by 10V but I doubt that is causing 700W.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The other one that seems prominent these days is the mispronunciation of the letter 'H', even on TV adverts advertising the like of HP, or describing a TV program as being in 'haitchD'. ;-(

It's as if people think that "aitch" is some form of slang / slack pronunciation and so sounding the 'h' thinking that is better / correct?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

220-240V 50Hz 2000W

info also availible at

whisky-dave

Has someone stolen the college's boiler?

Reply to
Andy Burns

As would I ... so it sounds like the 700W element is in all the time?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Am 09.11.2017 um 16:12 schrieb whisky-dave:

I would expect that too.

The radiator has 2 switches. Call them A and B. Eeach switch has two positions. Call them 'on' and 'off'.

So 4 combinations:

C1: SW A 'off' SW B 'off' C2: SW A 'off' SW B 'on' C3: SW A 'on' SW B 'off' C$: SW A 'on' SW B 'on'

What are the readings of your 'old maplin power meter' for each of the 4 combinations?

Reply to
Matthias Czech

Tragically enough, that's the exact opposite of what such an interviewing technique coaching guide should propose.

It so is! For example: "We did it that way so we could get the most accurate results."

Reply to
Johnny B Good