So - Do tradesmen use 'Trade' products?

Just done some emulsioning in my son's house using a large tub of 'Trade Emulsion' that he bought from B&Q. I was not impressed with it - and a second coat will be necessary.
So, do professional painters and decorators use 'trade' products - or is it just a scam to make diy'ers think that they are buying the same sort of stuff that professionals use?
--
Kev

Justice? You get justice in the next world,

In the case of shed paint, surely the latter. Contract is a more useful term I think.
NT

In the case of shed paint, surely the latter. Contract is a more useful term I think.
I agree contract white is a good cover emulsion ... use it as first coat on all walls.
Rick Hughes wrote:

Pricewise how do they compare? I see white matt emulsion at GBP10/10 litres in the sheds and on DIY the labour of two coats is less of a cost than a tradesman at 20 quid and hour.
AJH
so how come contract aeirials are so crappy then?
Brian
--
Brian Gaff - snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk
On 12/10/2011 17:39, Ret. wrote:

Yes, but they buy real trade products from trade suppliers.
Colin Bignell
Ret. wrote:

Yes they do, usually from builders or painters merchants because (as recognised tradesmen) they usually get the stuff cheaper (and they get a trade discount as well) - and they are usually trained to prepare the base properly and use upto 3 coats of the stuff (1, mist coat as a base amd two full coats to give coverage and body).
One coat of any paint rarely gives good coverage or longevity.
As for the "same sort of stuff" - it could be, unless B&Q have a contract with the painte manufacturers to supply them with a cheaper (and thinner) product.
As a matter of interest, some of the best results I have had is from AkzoNobel trade paint which gives me a good coverage, and at least five years between repaints on external works.
Hope this helps
Cash
\\@...............//.com says...

Interesting. Thanks for that.
--
Kev

Justice? You get justice in the next world,

I tride some B&Q trade emulsion once
never again ...
--
geoff

geoff wrote:

I usually stick with Dulux or Crown. Maybe there are better ones on "proper shops" but the above are generally predicable and get the job done. Been very impressed with the Dulux Bathroom range (ceiling and walls). Not great coverage, needed mist+3 coats on the ceiling, but has stayed put and washes easily without a hint of any degradation.
"Endurance" matt is not too bad. It will colour the cloth if you rub it too hard when washing and you cannot get every mark off (well, it's matt) but you cannot easily take it all off in 5 wipes, unlike the "landlord's magnolia" in my old rented house.
--
Tim Watts

On 12/10/2011 22:43, Tim Watts wrote:

I'm highly impressed with Wilkinsons One Coat emulsion and gloss. Really good coverage & obliteration, cheap as chips. Their quick dry primer/undercoat is good as well.

Any 'professional' painter would not use the rubbish paint from B+Q, they would have accounts at Crown/Dulux/Brewers etc, and get their quality paint delivered to them.(ring before 9am, and they deliver for free same day)
It is a false economy using cheap paint, as anyone who does it for a living knows.
Alan

On 13 Oct, 07:59, a...@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) wrote:

I recently had to decorate a fairly newly skimmed wall and bought a tub of a "trade" emulsion from B&Q to use as a diluted mist coat. I was very surprised at the coverage, as even diluted it made a much better job of covering the skim than I ever imagined it would. So I guess there is some paint to be had that is OK.
John
On Oct 13, 7:59am, a...@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) wrote:

Dulux is good stuff, and Leyland pretty good. There are other less well known brands that are good too, like International, I cant really think of the others I've encountered. Cheap trade paints I stay well away from. The one job I used such stuff on once looked 6 years old after just 6 months.
The only cheap paint that does last ok is lime paint. The finish isnt the finest, its fine for outdoor masonry use, where white is ok.
NT
On Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:43:10 AM UTC+1, NT wrote:

All the decorators around here use Leyland, which I had never heard of. Went looking for it, there was a local leyland paint supplies. I was amazed at the coverage of the emulsion. I had previously used B&Q emulsion, and I'm not joking to say I put on 5 coats and you could still see the plaster through it ! Simon.
On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:03:27 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson

I should have stuck to Leyland. Last time I bought Dulux trade 'cos the Leyland shop was shut. Big mistake. Took 3 coats and it still looks patchy.
--
(\__/) M.
Mark wrote:

I have not had that with regular Dulux, ever. Makes me suspicious that these word like "trade" and "contract" are marketing bullshit.
--
Tim Watts

On Friday, October 14, 2011 11:06:45 AM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

Someone told me the trade emulsions are breathable to be painted onto slightly damp plaster. Simon.

I buy basic colours of trade emulsion from our local builders merchant and it is as good as the branded. They will even use the white as base for mixed colours and it works out a hell of a lot cheaper than the branded. Trouble is several mixed colours call for a base other than white, and the trade stuff only comes in white and magnolia.
Mike
Dunno but I have some wallpaper emulsion over about five coats with b/Q stuff and a friend still can see the pattern. I think its really just thinned down so much its a kind of homeopathic paint.
Brian
--
Brian Gaff - snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk