Snails in bath

You - OUT

Reply to
geoff

I had no brothers, so my Dad taught me all the 'boy' stuff, and my Mum taught me the 'girl' stuff. My tool addiction is wide-ranging, from kitchenware to carpentry!

Reply to
S Viemeister

At least he's not a thong...

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Keep the snails if they are anything like slugs, google slugs clean shower.

Reply to
F Murtz

There is a shower over the bath and we have a shower panel ( class , sliding doors fitted in an aluminum frame - a nit like a full shower cubicle but smaller and fitted on top of the bath . The snails have got under between the bath edge and the fitted frame and I cant see how to get at them. I know they are there because I cleaned the bath and wiped some out when I was cleaning the shower fitting.

As for finding the trail, there doesn't seem to be one o follow. They just appear half way up the tiled wall or climbing the glass on the shower panel.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
sweetheart

There doesn't seem to be a trail, that's the problem.

Reply to
sweetheart

Sorry I should have been more precise. They are slugs, not snails ( of the shell backed variety). I call them all snails. They are the brown ones with like a grey stripe along the side. Not very big - none are above an inch in length. I have been zapping them with bathroom cleaner when I see them.

The bathroom is damp obviously ( well how do you keep a room full of water , taps, showers, toilets etc. dry? ) but not soaking wet. I have cleaned it all. I clean regularly.

I have asked for a new bath but husband isn't keen. He admits there " may be" a leak on the tap but it is under the bath where it cant be seen ( had one there before and was supposed to be fixed). he pulled back the lino and it was a bit wet on the floor.

Waiting for bath panel to be removed. Its a bungalow so bathroom on ground floor and its a wooden suspended floor. There is a void under - don't know much about the void!

But I looked and I cant see the things coming in there. Its a tight seal on the path front.

Reply to
sweetheart

Damp where it is supposed to be, in and around the bath isn't a problem.

Your problem is that there is damp somewhere beneath the bath, which is attracting them in from outside. There is no alternative but to get the side panel off and have a good look.

It's probably, either a tap or where the waste exits the bath and it's also likely there's a hole leading to the outside. Have you tried bribery ?

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Ventilation/extractor fan.

This is the root of your problem. Get it fixed!

Urgently!!

Reply to
dom

You seemed not to have googled, slugs are good, they keep your shower clean.

Reply to
F Murtz

On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 08:31:37 +0100, Andy Cap gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

Any air bricks with trails ?

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

Can't wait to get my two g daughters up here tomorrow night :-))

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Are you anything like me? I see a tool, or gadget and think 'that would be a handy thing to have and then buy it on impulse and never use for years. Then discover it is the bee's knees for that little awkward job you have encountered.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

But no white hairy legs though. Spotted on the school run this week.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I do try to restrain my tool-acquiring impulses - I don't always succeed, but I try. Quite often tools wind up being used for other than their stated purpose.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I fell asleep a few minutes ago. I have just woken up.

My waking dream was of being in Gordon Ramsay's restaurant, with him looking on. Me buttering a roll with a Stanley knife.

Really!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oh that's 'Shed culture'. Yes; they ARE allowed, provided they don't try to tidy up or move anything! Otherwise you'll never find that jar of used hot dipped 2.5 inch galvanized nails. I have a neighbour who is still looking for some $250 worth of very difficult to find brake parts in a plastic pail. We strongly suspect they were tidied up and dumped! . It's a lesser version of 'Barn culture'; both are more practical and less hi-falutin than 'Garage culture'. Garage culture is where fellers fix up old cars and/or build hot rods/ dune buggies and other exotic vehicles! The ultimate being people who build their own aeroplanes. Oh; and boats of course..

Reply to
terry

Try heat; hot water and/or a powerful hair dryer. However ask the 'expert' how to safely use an electric hair dryer adjacent to grounded metal taps or metal bath tub. Suggest plugging it into, even via an extension cord, the nearest GFI outlet. He HAS installed GFI outlets no doubt???? If not tell your insurance company that your house is 'Not up to code'!. Compared to a few snails that SHOULD get him moving? PS. Tell HIM that if snails, there could also be those minute ticks that sometimes travel on snails, or fellow traveling leeches; you know those blood sucking things!

Reply to
terry

You *are* aware that this is a UK group? GFI won't mean a lot to many people. The OP, if she does this, should be plugging it into an RCD. However, modern houses will have all sockets connected via an RCD (but this shouldn't be relied upon).

'Up to code' should be 'conforms to IET regs'. But only recent versions specify mandatory RCD...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Dampness sounds like potential rot/mould; (BTW salt can discourage snails/slugs) But in the presence of continuing moisture ..................... ? Have the floors rotted away yet ...................? Oops crash .........bath tub down in the kitchen below! Make a good newspaper headline in the 'Daily Scratch' ...... "Tub occupant 'lands' in middle of kitchen". "Water damage said to be extensive"! Also: What's that disease that snails (and presumably also slugs) can carry? Has some weird label such as 'Chykysmia'? or something?????? Something to do with minute worms getting into humans via the feet etc.

Reply to
terry