Dry rot

I have just noticed that some of the roof timbers in my loft space have patches of white deposit on their exposed surfaces. Feeling the wood, it doesn't seem crumbly and rotten, but I am concerned that it may be the early stages of dry rot. Not being really familiar with the appearance of dry rot, is there any way to tell, unequivocally, whether or not the timber is affected? I have come across pH-based sensors that are inserted into holes drilled into wood and which claim to produce a definitive result- anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks in advance, Jim.

Reply to
Jim Walsh

Suggest you put a picture up somewhere, but there are lots of causes for white deposits on timber which are not dry rot.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

IMHO, unlikely to be dry rot in a loft space. It likes damp poorly ventilated conditions. Like a cellar. Wood which has got wet at some time can have white patches on it - but is ok.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Agreed! " Dry Rot" is confusing. It is a fungus which needs some moisture to succeed. A white deposit is likely to be dried salts after a leak has dried out.

Reply to
Olav M

I had this just after a house conversion. Turned out to be lack of air flow in the loft. A bit alarming but not dry rot. I had two 9" square air bricks fitted in the end wall. Problem solved. Is the insulation preventing free air flow from the eaves perhaps?

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott