'Smoked' Salmond on toast

A bus seat?

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

He's started:

Asked if he could pledge not to bring back another referendum if the Yes campaign does not win on Thursday, Mr Marr suggested this meant in the next 20 years, Mr Salmond replied: "That?s my view. My view is this is a once in a generation, perhaps even a once in a lifetime, opportunity for Scotland."

This morning: " Alex Salmond, struck a defiant note at a downbeat Scottish National party rally in Edinburgh, saying he accepted Scotland had not "at this stage" decided to vote for independence."

Reply to
Judith

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote

Toilet seat ?

Reply to
Jabba

Wiki says it was 1970...

Reply to
Adrian

Damn that democracy, where the candidate with the most support wins the right to represent the entire constituency.

Reply to
Adrian

He's a miserable b****r who can't even look happy when he wins. Why should I want to support him?

Reply to
Nightjar

On 19/09/2014 10:56, charles wrote: ...

... or those of us who live in the South. Mind you, they didn't want full independence, they wanted Crown Dependency status, effectively leaving them part of the UK, but not ruled from Westminster.

Reply to
Nightjar

"Nightjar wrote

The dull bugger has also f***ed his mother's chances of winning that dancing competition on Saturday.

Reply to
Jabba

In a way yes, but in another way, no he hasn't.

I think the big winners will be UK citizens, and UKIP.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

but he doesn't get the money. The price of that power will be the responsibility to squeeze the last groat out of the scots to fund his lavish eating habit.

They wont like that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The big losers, too.

Reply to
Adrian

The notion of democracy is utter bullshit as soon as there's more than a two-way choice.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It would be far more democratic if each party got seats in Parliament in proportion to the total number of votes they received in the country.

Reply to
Nightjar

In that he actually cheered for Murray.

Reply to
Richard

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 13:45:35 +0100, Nightjar >> What is needed is to make every vote count (just as it did in this

Except that to do so would completely break local accountability.

Surely it's better to have your local party select the candidate for your constituency, a real live individual based on local issues*, than a "party list" of anonymous could-be-anybody national party yes men?

  • - yes, I know that's not what often happens, but that's entirely down to the local parties not standing up for themselves.
Reply to
Adrian

Reply to
robgraham

And not only that, but people you can't get rid of.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Very well said Brian! Although we do have to remember that the Scots (sorry: the people in Scotland) weren't voting for anything other than a promise that "things will be different". Perhaps UKIP will force such a turnout at the next general election, through the electorate being brought face to face with what might be, and what might not be :-)

J.

Reply to
Another John

Aha! Now wouldn't we all like that one?! Is that what the IOM have? Like ... we can make our own laws to suit us, decide who lives here (provide a tax haven for rich folks etc.), .... but we're British through and through so we'll 'ave all the rest of it ta very much :-)

J.

Reply to
Another John

I don't believe that will ever happen.

In this referendum people voted for something and actual idea not a personality that might do what they have said, that's the difference.

Perhaps if polititions had to adhere to their stated polices and were significantly accountable for their actions I might considering voting again.

What I don't want to do is vote for a liar who's making a good living from it. It should be a criminal offence to lie to voters, fines and/or imprisonment, perhapos even bringing back teh charge of treason and execution for serioius cases. :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave