smelly floorboards

I am renovating a room that has been occupied by a person who had a urinary catheter. There were, inevitably, spillages, and now the carpet and underlay are up we discover that the floorboards smell of urine.

Any ideas for getting the smell out?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I should think TMH will be along shortly to recommend whichever "HG" product is the correct one, I've noticed they are now stocked in several of the sheds ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Strong bleach. Keep door to room closed.

Reply to
harry

New floorboards?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Sprinkle Bicarb on the boards then drizzle cheapo white vinegar over the Bicarb, scrub in (careful of any fumes), then thoroughly rinse off, voila no more Urine aroma. This works on grout too.

Reply to
soup

Urine Neutraliser. Available from cleaning supply companies

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Strong bleach works well, also febreze. Also 'Urinoff' (sp?)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Need to check how far it has all soaked in first.

If it is all the way through the floorboards and into the joists then replacing the floor boards may be the best option.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Assuming you have not already done it, then open the windows[1] and give it a day or two to see how bad it really is?

[1] Depends on the weather. It was throwing it down in Sheffield today and sunny in Doncaster!
Reply to
ARW

There are any number of ideas for this, but how well they work more or less depends on whether the tuff has soaked into the wood. Often by the time you have taken the boards up and treated them you could have replaced them. We were lucky in my Grandmothers bedroom removing all the carpet and the glued on disintegrated foam, cleaning with some ammonia based stuff that made everyones eyes water then a week or so of drying seemed to remove it.

Yuck. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff