smelly drain - fungus type culprit found!

Dear all,

Sincere thanks to those of you who responded to my earlier post regarding the sulphurous stink from my back yard grid whenever hot water was run from the upstairs sink.

Having finally got hold of a ladder and examined the waste pipe from the bathroom sink, I have discovered that it is full of a disgusting slug-like fungus which reeks when you run hot water over it. As a consequence, the draining water pongs and when it hits the grid the smell is coming through an air brick and into the house.

Now, I'm going to try one of those £5 ish pipe cleaners (either Muscle or Domestos). Does anyone think this'll work? Or am I going to end up replacing the pipe? Is it feasible that the fungal growth has grown very far inside the pipe do you think?

All the best

Pops

Reply to
sky

Didn't see your original posting-so someone may already have suggested straightforward household bleach which will certainly destroy the offending growth.

The smell you mention and the fungus is common to many drainage systems but you don't smell it because of the U bend--- water seals. In your case the stinking water is sloshing onto the drain cover. Why not extend the downpipe so it discharges below the water surface in the drain

Reply to
Rupert

It would also be worthwhile trying to find out what this fungus is and how it occurs... if its common, there's bound to be a remedy that can prevent it re-appearing. On the other hand, If its never been seen before, you could become famous and make some money charging biologist-types for access to your poo-stack!

If it were me, I'd give it a good flushing with Jeyes fluid (forget the gimmicky branded products) and if that doesn't eradicate it, replacing the pipes wouldn't hurt... they're probably due for it anyway!

good luck.

d.

Reply to
Dean Heighington

Isn't this lethal to plastic pipes?

I'd go for chlorine, but the problem is that it won't touch all round the inside of the pipe. A foaming cleaner would be better.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth