Smelly Basement Drain

All,

I have noticed that my basement seems to smell horrible every so often. I think I have traced the smell to the drain in my basement. While I was down there the other day, I heard it "gurgling" after my wife had been running the kitchen faucet for a few minutes.

Is there any type of drain cover I can get that will eliminate the smell, yet allow the drain to remain functional? The basement is finished, and I have a sump pump that runs frequently. Also, the moisture from the A/C flows into the drain, so I can't just plug the drain.

Any help would be great!

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
lagman

Just pour a little bleach/water mix into it every so often. Sounds like the trap is drying out.

Steve Barker LT

That and check your roof vent if it is gurgling air is getting trapped and can't get out

Reply to
jim

Further to that a sewer trap in most basements would take one hell of a long time to dry out 1yr or more as there is always water being added leak yes dry out or evaporate no

Reply to
jim

why is there "always water being added"? He stated that his a/c condensate goes there, but if that's not running, then where's the water source? A trap will evaporate out in about 3 weeks normally.

Steve Barker LT

lagman wrote in news:1191939715.101041.304400 @d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

A gurgling drain indicates a flow disturbance downstream from that drain. It may well be time to snake the drain.

Reply to
Clark

My first guess is there is a blocked vent (the pipes that go through your roof. It is also possible as noted before that it is a trap (plumbing uses water in a "U" shaped pipe, to provide an air tight seal preventing the gasses from getting into your home. That seal can be defeated if the water in it dries out or is sucked out as will happen when a roof vent is blocked. It could even be a sign of a missing trap or some sort of other drain failure.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan