smelly clothes even after washin

Hi, I dont have a dryer. My clothes smell good after washing but start to have an annoying smelling (stink?) after sitting in the drawers. there is nothin wrong with my drawers or wardrobe but i live in somewhat old building.... do you have similar problem? Is there any special product which i need to use to get rid of this problem.

thanks :)

Reply to
elvira_wang

Don't take them straight out of the washing machine and put them in the drawers.

No.

A washing line.

Seriously, if the house is damp, mould could be forming. You could get packets of silca gel and store in there (like you get in shoe-boxes).

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

try those draw liners your granny had , I think they might be to solve this problem .

In my new house the last owner has has an airing cupboard made by making a fitted space and taking the insulation off hot water pipes as they run though (they were already there !)

Could you do somthing similar with some boxed in pipes ?

Reply to
simonsmith.uk

as muck accumulates in a washing machine its performance deteriorates, and this results. Put washing powder (not liquid) in and give it a boil wash empty. Repeat once a month to keep it spruce.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Or a rinse out with bleach.

The OP wrote

But is the actual machine getting your tack clean in the first place or is it just stirring them around and around?

Get some dirty socks out of the machine after they have been "cleaned" and then see if you can was them "cleaner". Don't let dye coming out of black and blue colours mislead you though.

You might try putting a heavy rubber weight in with them to splash them a bit more. A water bottle filled with wet sand perhaps? Or just not overfill the machine.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

well the problem is with the drying. The clothes are definitely well cleaned... i am living in an area which is almost always cloudy

Reply to
elvira_wang

Check instructions first. If it has a GRP outer drum, this is a bad thing to do.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

that wont clean the muck out, all it'll do is kill any bugs living on it temporarily.

would be fun in the spin cycle, increasing the risk of damage and may invalidate the gtee.

It could be that not enough detergent is being used, but more commonly its accumulated gunk in the machine.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Use a better quality detergent. Avoid the cheapie stuff. Increase the wash temp. Do an extra spin and rinse after washing to get more old detergent out.

john2

Reply to
john2

Didn't the OP say that the clothes smelled fine after washing, but started going off after being stored for a while? It sounds like damp, to me, rather than a problem with the washer. The fabric may not have been sufficiently dry before being put away, and/or the storage area may suffer from damp.

Reply to
S Viemeister

A generous dose of laundry bleach (dilute pexroxide) round the door seals seems to help - even better if rinsed with near boiling water after a few minutes.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges

If you don't want/have space for a conventional tumble drier, I achieve great results with a reasonably priced dehumidifier and a couple of clothes horses.

The drying effect is enhanced significantly if once the clothes horse is full of washed clothes, a bed sheet or similar is put over the clothes horse, and over the outlet of the dehumidifier (ours is on the top); this directs the warm dry air over the clothes and does a cracking job.

Drying clothes in a poorly ventilated house (as found in the winter)rapidly causes mold to grow everywhere, including cupboards and behind beds. This I found out within a month of moving in to our new house. It was so bad we thought there was a serious problem, hence the de-humidifier purchase and our troubles were gone in a few days.

Cheers pete

Reply to
PeTe33