Smart meters

That doesnt work with thermostatted devices.

Reply to
Rod Speed

On 24/11/2022 14:56, Jonathan wrote: .

I do what you do. The problem is that the consumer loses whichever route you take. You either pay over the odds for non-DD, or with DD you lend them money free of interest (which they can invest for a profit). Damned if you do and damned if you don't!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Do they not have any tariffs that are quarterly billed and a variable DD billed and debited each quarter? They certainly used to.

Reply to
SteveW

These tend to be very expensive. They have to wait three months to get your cash....

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

and also have to wait 3 months to discover the customer has no means to pay/has no intention to pay.

The extra costs involved in standard credit include differences in the probability of non-payment and the quantum of loss. Ofgem take them into account in the different price caps. The caps set in August:

Direct Debit £3549 Standard Credit £3764 Prepayment £3608

Reply to
Robin

It does if you explain it .

Reply to
whisky-dave

No more expensive than paying by cheque or cash. I think EDF do it but I haven't asked them. Not too much of an inconvenience paying once a quarter.

Reply to
Max Demian

No it doesn't because there is no easy way to keep track of what is currently off due to the thermostat.

Reply to
Rod Speed