small water leak - musty smell

Hi, situation: New build house, one year old, upstairs toilet fitted incorrectly by builder, small drip drip leak, every time flushed.

Leaked through the floor to the ceiling, not enough to drop to floor, but a watermark on ceiling. Also we have had a shower fitted, the splash back from the shower makes the upstairs bathroom floor quite wet, which again, leaks down very slowly (we wipe it up when it gets wet, but you know how things are , and the water finds it way through the boards....)

The bathroom has vinyl down, and it seems when we lift the vinyl up, the floor underneath is slimy and damp

The problem is, that the kitchen (the room below the bathroom) has a slight musty smell, presumably coming from the small discoloured patch on the ceiling.

so, i) we want to cover over the patch, best way to do that? ii) get rid of the musty smell iii) prevent the smell from returning by doing something upstairs, (seal the floor?)

any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated............

Gaz

Reply to
Gaz

Surely either all those guarantees you get with new houses are really worth absolutely nothing at all, or you just get the builder back in. Innit?

Reply to
Sam Nelson

Their Perssimon homes, complete utter idiots, they employ the absolute cheapest contractors, who put connections in back to front etc etc.... We nicknamed them 'Pikey Homes'. The initial fault was theres, but the shower issue is ours, and it has caused more of a problem.

Gaz

Reply to
Gaz

Use stain stop or oil based undercoat paint. Paint the stain and then when dry emulsion over the top. You need to fix the cause of the leak first of course. I would get the builders back....Dont be tempted to just emulsion over as it wont work and the stain will re-appear.

I would rip the vinyl up and allow it to thoroughly dry out

You may not have to once its all dried out, should find it goes on its own I would of thought.

HTH

Cheers

Richard

Reply to