Water damage - what to expect

Last night, my 3-year son decided to make a "magic" potion after watching a Harry Potter movie. He tapped the two sinks in the bathroom on the second floor to fill them with water and "forgot" to turn them off. As a result, the magic potion spilled on the floor resulting in a

3'x3' size puddle for some 20-30 minutes. The water found its way to the first floor ceiling. We discovered this accident after seeing that water is coming through the chandelier hole on the first floor which is directly below the bathroom on the second floor.

Things I've done so far: I removed the chandelier from the first floor to let the water out. I deployed two fans - one on second floor to dry out the carpet (an area of 1'x1' of the corridor adjacent to the bathroom got saturated) and another one to dry out the ceiling on the first floor. This morning I inspected the ceiling on the first floor. I can see a few small wet areas mainly around the chandelier outlet but no other serious damage at this point. I open up all windows on the first and second floor and switched on the ceiling fans. Our house was built in 2000.

What possible interior and exterior damage should I expect and what should I do from here on besides sending the magician to Hogwarts?

Reply to
Teo

Would need pics. Sounds like damage is all interior and you are doing as much damage control as you can already.

Reply to
scott21230

You may be very lucky. Since you caught it quickly and took steps to clean up and dry it, there may be no permanent damage. If you have stains on the drywall, paint it with a product like Kilz, then paint as usual.

I'm sure you are not happy about the damage, but you are fortunate to have a spirited and imaginative 3 yo.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I can't add anything to what Edwin said, except I think you've got an excellent kid. Get him to one of those hands-on science museums for kids. And, review your homeowner's insurance. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If possible get a strong wet vac and get all the water that you can out of the carpet. Sooner the better, so it doesn't get musty or soak into subfloor any more than it has.

Keep the magician away from the fans and the wet areas. Have the magician explain again what he was doing and make a video. Someday, it will be hysterically funny :o)

Reply to
Norminn

I know a guy who made a video of his son's birth.

Now, when the son misbehaves the father plays the video backwards with the warning "I'll send you back where you came from!"

Reply to
HeyBub

Don't worry about it. I've spilled far more water and I'm 53. Usually it doesn't hurt a thing.

Just don't leave any wet metal touching the carpet.

Reply to
mm

You may develop some buckling or warping of the bathroom sub floor which could lead to finished floor damage if water is trapped between the sub and finished floor. You didn't mention what flooring is in the bath.

Reply to
John F. F.

First, you should hire someone which will take on the responsibility to keep an eye on your child. Obviously, you do not have parenting skills.

Thank the good lord, the child hadn't been playing with magic matches, or electric along with the water.

Shame on you.

Reply to
George Post

What, are you a regular who created this account just to chew out someone on Usenet?

Stacia

Reply to
Stacia

Consider yourself lucky. I had a waterline break at a commode when we were out of town. Ran for 3 days and put 10,000 gallons of water into the house. Water ran out the weepholes in the brick & saturated the ground for 15' around the house. Had to call the pro's for that one and it took 2 weeks to get the house dried out and another 2 weeks for repairs. But all is well now with no apparent problems after a couple of years.

-bob

Reply to
Bob

Hit a nerve, did I? Are you one of those irresponsible people that pop kids out, and call yourself a parent?

Just a FYI, a child of 3, shouldn't be left unsupervised, long enough to cause problems. Of course, I wouldn't expect you to understand basic common sense.

Reply to
George Post

Which way?

Reply to