Problem leaks

I am getting a little frustrated. We bought a house that was built in the mid 1980's last year. After just a couple of months, we noticed some water spots forming on the kitchen ceiling. Some of these were new spots and some look to have been there before but had been painted over. We had a plumber come look at the problem and he cut a hole in the kitchen ceiling and looked through an upstairs access panel where he could view the shower pan in the master bath upstairs and said the pan had been installed incorrectly and that is where the problem was. He said we would have to take out a bunch of tile and possible replace subfloor so we decided to do that in the future and in the mean time just not use that shower. Over the last few months, small water spots will appear on the ceiling from time to time even though we no longer use that shower. The last straw happened a week or so ago. I was in another room downstairs and heard water running. I went into the kitchen and lots of water was pouring in from one of the recessed lights. I ran upstairs (thinking one of the kids had left the water on and overflowed the tub) but one kid was batching in a partially filled tub and there was no water on the floor. We use that tub every night and it has not done anything since. When we drain the tubs upstairs, the sounds of the water draining is a little peculiar. It sounds like the water is "babbling" where before we really couldn't hear the water draining to any degree or at least it was nothing to pay attention to. Now though it sounds different.

I am thinking I just need to start ripping out tile in the Master bathroom to look for the problem but I am not sure. Could anyone help?

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
Tom Sargent

Instead of ripping tile out, is there an adjoining room where you could cut an opening in the drywall? Or an access panel at the front of the tub?

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks for the reply Jim...

Unfortunately there is no convenient wall to access the pipes/valves, etc...

Since I wrote the last message, I decided to see if I could make it leak. I went upstairs and filled all the tubs and sinks and then released all the water at one time. No visible leaks in the kitchen ceiling. Before I did it, I had circled all the water spots in the kitchen ceiling so I could tell if there were any new ones. I was thinking that maybe someone had to be in the tub. Maybe it's the shower and not the tub. But my family has been using the tubs/showers/sinks/toilets and I still have not seen any leaks.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I am really stumped.

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
Tom Sargent