Small Planks in loft

Small Planks in loft open original image
Small Planks in loft open original image

I am currently boarding my loft and I have small pieces of wood hammered at various angles access the joists. I thought they were for stepping on when the house was built but underneath are these voids. Are they supporting anything below? I've removed a couple in order to lay loft boards but Im not sure am I ok to remove them?

Reply to
david