Slots - do I need a plunge router?

I have many lengths of 120mm x 120mm box section PVC which is 4mm thick and I need to cut vertical slots in two opposite sides. The slots are 4mm wide and 110mm long ie almost the compleye height of each side.

What's the easiest way to make the slots. Somone suggested a plunge router Is this the way to go considering that I have to make around slots?

Reply to
Bazza

Yes. You'll need to make-up a simple jig to get easily-repeatable start/stop points. A thought: if the 120mm is external and the walls are 4mm thick then the internal dimension is 112mm. In reality a planned 110mm long slot is likely to go all the way to the internal walls ... is this what you intend?

Reply to
nothanks

Oops, meant to add: If 4mm notches in the other 2 walls were acceptable you could make 2 passes on a saw table - faster than the router approach.

Reply to
nothanks

I dont have a table saw but if a router can do it then that would be much cheaper to buy. The 110mm lon slots mean they go almost up and down to the adjacent side without cutting in to it. I want the slots to allow baffles to be inserted by slipping them in from the side.

Reply to
Bazza

Slots in a 120mm x 120mm (4.7 inch x 4.7 inch) plastic box with 4mm thick walls and you require slots of 110mm (4.3 inches)long

Consider the size of the router compared to your box material. A plunge router is probably not the right tool for this job

Drill a hole 4mm diameter at either end of the slot. Use a Dremel, or a much cheaper generic small drill, with a cutting disk to cut between the two holes. Get more than one cutting disk.

Take it easy with cutting as too much frickion and you may be burning/melting through rather than cutting.

Possible random examples

alan_m

Reply to
Bazza

Well, I do have rathera lot of slots to cut ( 100 to 120) so maybe I should make up a jig in wood to guide the router.

Reply to
Bazza

Most routers come with side guidesor have ttem avaiable

Reply to
fred

If you have a pillar drill then using a 4mm cutter in the chuck with a suitably attached fence on the table is an option lower the cutter into the PVC then locking it in place, push the box section along the fence until you reach the end of the cut.

Although the quill on a pillar drill is not designed for sideways pressure

4mm PVC should not put too much strain on it.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky