Slot drain requirements

Hi all,

Finally getting around to doing our patio. The builder laid a concrete slab around 100mm below finished floor level and installed the drains ready for the tiling when we were ready. We have a set of floor to ceiling bifold doors at the back of the house opening up onto the patio. The original idea was to have the same tiles inside and out with no step so it looked like a continuous floor. The fall of the patio is away from the house. Based on this, the builder created a slot drain about a foot away from the bifold doors and another at the drain away end of the patio.

We have now decided to go for completely different tiles (still porcelain but different size and colour)and to ensure they are below the drainage slots on the doors there will be a slight step down anyway. We have had a patio laying guy around for a quote and he says we don't need the slot drain by the house at all as the water will drain away due to the fall of the patio. Also, if we removed it we would get a better look as we can then have full slabs. It makes sense to me but now wondering why we had the slot drain in the first place.

Would appreciate your thoughts please.

Many thanks

Lee.

Reply to