new phone line

Just been at daughter's house, to which she's just moved in. OpenReach installed the phone from a socket on the router rather than straight off the incoming copper pair.

Reply to
charles

Does that mean she has been given VOIP without the option of saying 'NO!'? Is the router ADSL or Fibre?

Like Germany, today you are on a wired landline, tomorrow you will be on fibre VOIP.

Reply to
Davey

The router is ADSL, there's an incoming line with the usual two outlet terminal plate, but only the ADSL one is used. The phone one is dead.

Reply to
charles

If her exchange has 75% FTTP coverage there's usually a "stop sell" on old-style lines. Coming to us all in September.

Reply to
Robin

I would expect she has FTTC but without the phone service (aka SOGEA) rather than ADSL.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think you will find this standard practice, though I wonder what they would do if you told them to take out the internet. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Isn't it all one contract? So you can't cancel part of it?

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Next time I visit I can a) check her internet speed anmd b) look for a green cabinet nearby

Reply to
charles

They would downgrade the service to about 0.5Mb/s and replace the router with a box that provides only VoIP functionality.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

That's still a lot faster than we were happily used to with our tenner-a-month dial up Demon connections.

I wonder what would happen if one tried to use that 'slow' connection for a vary basic internet connection ?.

Reply to
Andrew

It would probably not be possible. They'd almost certainly block all traffic except SIP/VoIP

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Interesting.

When they installed our FTTP the router had a POTS socket - and they gave us a VOIP phone to use, ignoring the socket. Which incidentally meant our answering machine was useless.

It's a few years ago now, things must have changed.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

It may not still be the case, but I had heard they planned to allow it to be used for internet access...

Reply to
John Rumm

Stick her address into this (it won't recognise her phone number, because it's SOGEA) and it'll tell you the estimated speeds, (I suspect she will be on FTTC) and the ID of the cabinet she is served by

Mark Carver

I just tried my mum's house.

"FTTP is not available.

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme"

The speed they expect is what she gets. A megabit or so.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

It's quite a good reference site. In some cases you get real world D/S and U/S sync values, with a date (take a look further down the result table). Presumably from BT harvesting their cabinet DSLAM logs

Reply to
Mark Carver