Sloping gravelled drive, how do I keep it on the drive ?

Hi, Any clues ? I thought about a small trench and burying some flagstones or something across the drive entrance, so that we can rake it back out again ?

Any pointers appreciated!

Paul

Reply to
Paul

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:41:16 +0100, "Paul" strung together this:

Sweeping brush and\or rake!

Reply to
Lurch

Michael Mcneil

I presume you mean having a stone 'dam' to stop the flow of gravel?

I would have thought you would need a raised barrier/ramp of stone with angled sides to allow vehicles to climb over the barrier without a 'bump' - a bit like sleeping policemen.

This would stop the gravel flowing out, and you would rake it back up the slope once it reached the top of the 'dam'.

Probably easier to make in concrete than stone, but not as pretty.

As a compromise, a stone barrier with concrete ramps either side.

HTH Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

David W.E. Roberts wrote in

We've got a drive with a 1/10 slope and granite chippings - 20mm and 14mm

50:50 mix and we don't lose chippings other than odd ones that get flicked on to the footpath by car tyres. If you can find chippings rather than pea gravel-type stuff, you shouldn't have a problem.
Reply to
PeterMcC

Second that - there is a flat parking space up the road from us made with gravel and cars sink in and the gravel travels all over the place.

Being round(ish) the stones tend to flow.

Angular chippings tend to compact (helped if rolled) and not move about.

Gravel (especially without sand, which really makes it ballast) is an abomination on a drive.

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts