Slippery kitchen floor tiles

My kitchen floor has very slippery tiles, each tile measures about 1 foot square.

I'm tired of almost breaking my neck if I so much as walk fast on them (they're even worse when wet), so short of replacing them is there a way to make them non-slip?

Perhaps a non-slip spray that actually stays on during regular use and which isn't easily worn off?

Thanks

Reply to
jamma-plusser

You don't say what material the tiles are!

I suggest trying a non-slip emulsion polish. Not up with brands - maybe someone else can suggest. But the best ones can reduce slipperiness quite noticeably. Best put down after thorough stripping of any existing finish, dirt, etc.

Reply to
Rod

We covered our similar kitchen floor in sea grass matting. After a couple of months, we turn it over. After another couple of months we throw it out and get some more.

The kitchen refit is scheduled; one of the things that's going is that stupid floor.

Reply to
Huge

Thanks guys.

Should have mentioned the tile material - feels/sounds like stone, but I guess it's some kind of pured/moulded material that hardens to look and sound like stone.

Reply to
jamma-plusser

I don't know what you use for cleaning said floor, but I have noticed that 'Flash' can leave floors very slippy, even when dry.

Reply to
Anne Welsh Jackson

They just put some coating down at work, I'll try to find out what it was

Reply to
newshound

Slippery floors are usually caused by (1) dirt, keeping it cleaner may help (2) dust or fine powdery materials (like sand) (3) residue from furniture polish overspray (4) detergent residue.

Giving the floor a real good deep down clean & several rinses might sort it out.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sounds like we are all telling OP they have a dirty floor!

The last time I slipped badly on the kitchen floor, it was due to some accidental overspray of Ambersil Silicone Lubricant - that was *really* slippery. Close to your 3).

Reply to
Rod

Don't worry folks, the floor is clean (washed regularly, no detergents applied, etc and no 'gritty' dirt left over! :-) )

Reply to
jamma-plusser