"Frosted" glass - one side smooth - which way round?

Replacing a 38 year old glass pane in back door (I broke it removing old putty). The new glass is toughened and patterned on one side only. Is there any convention/advantage for which way round it goes? Smooth side in or out? I can't detect any difference in the obscurity either way. I am inclined to put the smooth side out - since the reason for removing the old was pane (patterned both sides) was water penetration at the bottom.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

It will be easier to clean outdoor muck off if you put the smooth to the outside.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, that's the conventional way to do it

David

Reply to
Lobster

That would be the way to do it if you ever intend to clean it.

Reply to
Anne Welsh Jackson

Geo,

Whichever side you putty will be the smoothe side of the glass - this allows an easy finishing of the putty and ensures a good seal is made to allow rainwater to run off the glass.

To get an even better water seal - when painting, allow the paint to go over the putty and onto the glass by a few millimetres (do this freehand to form a 'feather' edge and *not* using masking tape to get a 'straight finish).

BTW, the 'rule' applies whether the glass is fitted internally or externally.

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Yep, no nooks and crannies for algae to grow in. I expect the putty fillet is on the outside as well this would also put the smooth side out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Replying to everyone in one message to prevent clutter...

Amazingly unanimous response - although there was some domestic dispute here about my utility/computer/workshop room being the dirtier side.

The previous glass had small cushion-like bulges on both sides. The frame is symmetrical with mitred mouldings on both sides of the door. There was a small amount of putty for seating between the outside wood moulding and the glass. The paint was taken up on to the glass - but the door gets heavy use and has the bronze draft strip which requires a firm closing action (slam). The paint seal had cracked in two places about 1/4" long which was enough to allow water through when we had the Easterly wet weather.

Toughend glass (gotta have that these days apparently) replacement was £15.50 for 605mm x 550mm. I will be using silicon gazing compound instead of putty to hopefully get a better seal.

Thanks all.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

Not if you tell the glass man it's for a summer house ;-)

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Yeah - could have bit my tongue on the phone when they said that.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

My summerhouse was fitted with toughened glass, by the manufacturer.

Reply to
Anne Welsh Jackson