Slightly OT: Petrol or Diesel?

Apropos of nothing in particular, I ran the dieselly freelander (detuned

2 litre BMW turbodiesel) up to (almost) max revs. Its an auto, and the redline is 4500 RPM.

Torque felt flat until about 4000 RPM and was tailing off a bit at

4250, when the box decided to change up.

Since the turbo comes in unnoticeably at less than 1k rpm, and the torque seems to be up to peak at around 1500 or so, its a really nice experience.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't think so.

I don't think you're giving sufficient consideration to "diesel" and "close to".

In my (also limited) experience, you can ask for a little more and it's immediately there. It's when you ask for a lot more that the disappointment occurs.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

It will. The cat is a part of the MOT, and has been required fitment to all new petrol cars for over 20 years.

DPFs and EGR are not required fitment to new cars, and their presence isn't checked in the MOT.

Reply to
Adrian

Think the point is as I originally made. Most road going petrol engines will 'tell' you when to change up as the 'power' tails off gradually beyond certain revs. Many diesels don't do this - they pull strongly then hit a brick wall, revs wise. Of course experience of a particular vehicle will mean your driving style will compensate for this, but it's one of the less pleasant aspects of diesels.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What point are you trying to make? That an auto prevents the brick wall effect of a diesel? I made that point days ago.

Have you ever driven a manual?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

exactly my experience with 70's FORD petrol cars. the throttle linkage was it seems either deliberately non linear, or made no attempt to linearisde the carburettor response,.. Al the power was in the first

10mm of travel The other 70mm made sod all difference unless revving very hard.

Which was in itself the best way to snap the camshaft.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All I can say is that teh otwo I have driven extensively do NOT do this. The Ford mondeo with a transit engine in it did.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sigh. You wouldn't know if it did since it's an auto. Autos change up

*before* the engine hits that brick wall.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I suspect the engine management system in common rail diesels masks things like *brick wall* and performance peaks. Low CO2 and not overlapping the performance of more expensive models may influence settings.

I enjoy driving my wife's 1600 Fiesta Tdci which seems to me to have an excellent gearbox. The n/a engine in my Hilux is pretty much dead in any gear other than 1st./2nd:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No. that the engine showed no fall of in perfioramce upo to te red line

yes, TD5 defender, again no brick wall. Just a falling away of torque until it was more effective to change up. Skoda 1.7 non turbo diesel,. realtively gutless across the band, and again no brock wall, Just steady falling away of torque till you feel its better off in a higher gear. Ford Mondeo TD Awful. NO low down torque. No high up torque. Hired peugot diesel white van. Similar to the skoda. NO brick wall.

Been driven in a BMW diesel. marvellous turbos, no falling away of torque till the red line.

All I can say is that the diesels are no better and no worse than the petrol cars I have driven. Which are many. Example. Nissan Almeira I drove to day - 1.8 petrol (courtesy car) bags of low down runt, torquealliung away smoothly - not worth exploring the redline at 6500.

Contrast MG midget 1300 I used to have. torque is well maintined till redline at 5500 IIRC. keep that in gear and REV it. Same with the XJS, XK8 and XKR. Redlining those was to preserve the engine. They were capbale of peak power at top RPM. But contrast te nissan 200SX turbo. That actually felt nicer at lower revs. The turbo came in at arouynd 2k, but the breathing even with vvt was a bit soggy at 6k.

In essence the cars are all different, and there's more difference between two makes of the same fuel than between a diesel and a petrol from the same manufacturer These days its all abiutt what you want the engine to deliver and where. Its not intrinsic to the technology. At one pint in my life I was hiring a different car every weekend, for a couple of months. every weekend was a matter of learning how to extract the best. Somer have toruw, some rev freely. Some do neither :-( Some are stable when pushed,. others hop around/. Ter long wheelbase defender behaved - especilly with a load on - like twoo cars lososely coupled together in the middle. I learnt NOT to push it to hard round ciornesr. The jaguars except the XJS which had LSD, would lift a wheel and lose traction when cornered hard. The 200sx had a brilliant LSD, and rear suspension to die for, but the front was McPherson and utter crap - wandered all over the road on bumps. But it was hellish fast. I loved my opel manta. one of the easiest cars to drift I ever owned. engine not bad either. Stolen, stripped, recovered rebuilt and finally written off at 15mph..it had been all over europe at 115mph :-)

Mate Ive driven just about everything, from minis, triumph heralds, spitfires, Midgets, Bedford CA MK 2 van, Ford escort, popular zodiac, cortina,mondeo, fiesta, Mustang, vauxhall viva, opel chevette, Vauxhall nova, astra, astra sri, cavalier. opel manta, hillman hunrter, husky, imp, MGB, Alfa 2000., mercedes 2.0 saloon, Nissan 200sx, almeira and micra, Dastun sunny (with siezed mc phersons all over dirt roads in Africa) jaguar XJS, XJ6, xJ8, XK8, XKR, fiat 500, uno, punto. seat something or other, Toyota yaris (one of the worst cars ever) Minis mini van, mini countryman, pissy little daihatsu, peugot campers, fiat campers, fiat vans, transits SWB and LWB. Landrover series III (petrol) SWB, Defender 110 and freelander diesels..VW beetle, golf, passat, peugeot 20 something GTI. Skoda octavia and felicia (bloody good cars skodas) Commer highwayman camper of ancient and uncertain quality. I've driven something called a saturn, and a pontiac (worst heap of shit ever) I've even driven a 5.7 litre RUV across the mojave desert and the grand canyon.

I've driven in the UK, from Orkney to Cornwall. I've driven in France, Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, Denmark , Sweden, Germany Czechoslovakia, Italy and Sardinia. I've driven in the USA. I've driven in Mexico, I've driven in South Africa.

yeah, I've driven a LOT of cars mate. Ive driven a dump truck and a 3.5 tonne digger.

I've never driven a porsche, or a BMW. Or to my memory an audi. Or a ferrari though I have had hair raising rides in all of them.

And that's why the whole question of diesel versus petrol is almost meaningless. A ford popular is petrol;. So is a ferrari dino. the 3.5 tonne digger was diesel, so was the le mans winning audi.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The mondeo was not an auto. neither was the LR defender TD5. Or the skoda felicia.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Tim Lamb writes

N/A diesels are a big no no in my book. (Defender 2.5 ex-mil. Rapidly replaced with 200TDi)

Reply to
bert

In the past I've regularly done around 3 hours of motorway driving at around 70mph but that was around midnight to the wee small hours in the morning.

These days you are more likely to find long stretches of speed limited roadworks with not a workman to be seen.

Reply to
alan

Well there is one N/A diesel for which I have nothing but praise, not because it isn't anything other than a gutless revless beats, and thats the skoda 1.7..it does however turn in fuel economy figures that are unbelievable.

I saw it quoted as 'the best taxi-driver's engine ever made'

It doesn't run into a brick wall. Its already parked firmly against one before it even starts to rev. :@-)

Nonetheless its capable of propelling a small saloon at the legal limit on a motorway...eventually. Which for some applications, is all that is required.

60-70mpg doing it too.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or convoys of Royal Mail or TNT trucks and assorted heavies, often Irish on m6

Reply to
bert

I believe the current (or intended) ruling goes along the lines of - If the vehicle was manufactured with a DPF it must be present. The EGR is there to deliberately mess up the engine by reducing it's combustion temperature (making it less efficient) to reduce the amount of NOX (or whatever gas it is) that is produced by higher combustion temperature. The super-fine extremely high pressure fuel injectors increase efficiency to off-set the losses caused by EGR inefficiency.

Well that's how I understood the madness anyway. :¬)

So I'd be worried if the DPF was cut-out and replaced by straight pipe but to all intents and purposes my friends DPF is still in situ. however the gradually deterioration marshmallow interior that will always slowly block over time has been removed and the Engine management re-programed to prevent it throwing a wobbly. Same with EGR. It's still "there" just blanked off and re-programmed to not be there.

8)
Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Not me. The law, implemented through VOSA.

The tester's opinion comes into play on some reasons for rejection. But VOSA have a clear-cut appeals process for where you think somebody's making things up. Read the tester's handbook (the link above), and you'll know exactly what constitutes a fail.

If you maintained your car properly, the time of the MOT would be irrelevant, since it wouldn't need "fixing". The MOT ain't a once-a-year high-water mark. It's a basic minimum "Is this heap of crap fit to be on a road" filter.

Reply to
Adrian

If you had bothered to read what I wrote, I did that appeal anyway. The matters were not matters of opinion. They were matters of fact. there were issues, but they were not failure issues. Rusty fixing screws om a number plate are not reasons to fail a car. Nor is a broken exhaust hangar. The MOT is concerned with cars that are unsafe: It is not unsafe to have a perfectly well supported exhaust that is only putting a little extra stress on the other mountings. Cuts in tyre treads are acceptable if the belting is not exposed. There is no opinion in any of that. either the belting is expsed or it aint.

I do maintain it properly. But the MOT was 6 months away from the annual service. Now they are all nicely lined up.

Only the tax runs out at Christmas :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

6.3.1 A registration plate: b. so insecure that it is likely to fall off d. faded, dirty, delaminated, deteriorated or obscured, (for example by a towbar) so that it is likely to be misread or is not easily legible by a person standing approximately 20 metres to the front/rear of the vehicle

Could easily be.

7.1.1 An exhaust system not adequately supported

4.1.D.1.a. A tyre has a cut the length of which is in excess of 25 mm or 10% of section width, whichever is greater, deep enough to reach the ply or cords.

That's in addition to the rejection for the belting being explicitly exposed, btw.

So it should just waltz through the ticket, then.

Reply to
Adrian

It does, if I take it to the better garage and avoid the ripoff dealer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher