Slightly OT - Learning english

My favourite local sandwich shop has a soup of the day. On Tuesday it was "Country Vegetable's". I didn't bother asking "Country vegetable's what?" since they just look at you as though you're mad.

Reply to
Huge

I believe that Finnish and Hungarian are related in much the same way as English and Hindi are related. That is to say there are patterns that a linguist can see and be interested in, but the relationship is of almost no use for a native speaker of one trying to learn the other.

Consider how useful a native English speaker is likely to find a Dutch website for learning Hungarian - and English and Dutch are practically different dialects of the same language compared to Finnish and Hungarian.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Well that's because the ruling Normans spoke French, and the peasants spoke Anglo-Saxon.

That's why the meat is called mutton (it was named by the people eating it), but the animal is a sheep (it was named by the people looking after it).

Lamb is an oddity because eating lamb is /such/ an extravagance that it postdates the emergance of English.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Country vegetable's leftovers, probably.

And they don't say which country, either.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It's probably the only place in broadcasting where people called Tarquin can still get a job.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Someone I worked with went to work for them. It was probabky just as well, since if he had stayed working with me and my colleagues, one of us would have killed him. He was terribly nice, far back in a Scottish public school manner, and absolutely bloody useless. Not a Tarquin, but he could have been.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Andy Hall wrote: > I thought that "merda" was the Italian word for the brown stuff.

Which is why in France Toyota renamed the MR2 to Coupe MR ...

Reply to
Adrian C

i'm half finnish - finnish is not good to a hungarian..

i suggest you get him onto the interweb with sound and he find a hungarian website to help...

and i bet he know beatles songs, theyre ubiquitous (gosh ive always wanted to use that word in an email) so get a beatles songbook and sing along

[george]
Reply to
dicegeorge

And also why the Rolls Royce Silver Mist didn't sell too well in Germany, "Mist" being German for the brown stuff.

And probably why the Vauxhall Nova wasn't too popular in Spain. "No va" is Spanish for "doesn't go".

Reply to
A.Clews

And why "Irisher Mist" didn't last long as a brand name in Germany either for Cussons or as a liqueur

Reply to
geoff

Reply to
geoff

Un piacere, mascalzino.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Dearest creature in creation, Study English pronunciation. I will teach you in my verse Sounds like corpse, corps, horse, and worse. I will keep you, Suzy, busy, Make your head with heat grow dizzy. Tear in eye, your dress will tear. So shall I! Oh hear my prayer. Just compare heart, beard, and heard, Dies and diet, lord and word, Sword and sward, retain and Britain. (Mind the latter, how it's written.) Now I surely will not plague you With such words as plaque and ague. But be careful how you speak: Say break and steak, but bleak and streak; Cloven, oven, how and low, Script, receipt, show, poem, and toe. Hear me say, devoid of trickery, Daughter, laughter, and Terpsichore, Typhoid, measles, topsails, aisles, Exiles, similes, and reviles; Scholar, vicar, and cigar, Solar, mica, war and far; One, anemone, Balmoral, Kitchen, lichen, laundry, laurel; Gertrude, German, wind and mind, Scene, Melpomene, mankind. Billet does not rhyme with ballet, Bouquet, wallet, mallet, chalet. Blood and flood are not like food, Nor is mould like should and would. Viscous, viscount, load and broad, Toward, to forward, to reward. And your pronunciation's OK When you correctly say croquet, Rounded, wounded, grieve and sieve, Friend and fiend, alive and live. Ivy, privy, famous; clamour And enamour rhyme with hammer. River, rival, tomb, bomb, comb, Doll and roll and some and home. Stranger does not rhyme with anger, Neither does devour with clangour. Souls but foul, haunt but aunt, Font, front, wont, want, grand, and grant, Shoes, goes, does. Now first say finger, And then singer, ginger, linger, Real, zeal, mauve, gauze, gouge and gauge, Marriage, foliage, mirage, and age. Query does not rhyme with very, Nor does fury sound like bury. Dost, lost, post and doth, cloth, loth. Job, nob, bosom, transom, oath. Though the differences seem little, We say actual but victual. Refer does not rhyme with deafer. Foeffer does, and zephyr, heifer. Mint, pint, senate and sedate; Dull, bull, and George ate late. Scenic, Arabic, Pacific, Science, conscience, scientific. Liberty, library, heave and heaven, Rachel, ache, moustache, eleven. We say hallowed, but allowed, People, leopard, towed, but vowed. Mark the differences, moreover, Between mover, cover, clover; Leeches, breeches, wise, precise, Chalice, but police and lice; Camel, constable, unstable, Principle, disciple, label. Petal, panel, and canal, Wait, surprise, plait, promise, pal. Worm and storm, chaise, chaos, chair, Senator, spectator, mayor. Tour, but our and succour, four. Gas, alas, and Arkansas. Sea, idea, Korea, area, Psalm, Maria, but malaria. Youth, south, southern, cleanse and clean. Doctrine, turpentine, marine. Compare alien with Italian, Dandelion and battalion. Sally with ally, yea, ye, Eye, I, ay, aye, whey, and key. Say aver, but ever, fever, Neither, leisure, skein, deceiver. Heron, granary, canary. Crevice and device and aerie. Face, but preface, not efface. Phlegm, phlegmatic, ass, glass, bass. Large, but target, gin, give, verging, Ought, out, joust and scour, scourging. Ear, but earn and wear and tear Do not rhyme with here but ere. Seven is right, but so is even, Hyphen, roughen, nephew Stephen, Monkey, donkey, Turk and jerk, Ask, grasp, wasp, and cork and work. Pronunciation -- think of Psyche! Is a paling stout and spikey? Won't it make you lose your wits, Writing groats and saying grits? It's a dark abyss or tunnel: Strewn with stones, stowed, solace, gunwale, Islington and Isle of Wight, Housewife, verdict and indict. Finally, which rhymes with enough -- Though, through, plough, or dough, or cough? Hiccough has the sound of cup. My advice is to give up!!! Author Unknown

Reply to
John Stumbles

Oh. I thought that that was the Prius......

Reply to
Andy Hall

This is like my pet hate at Heathrow.

They have signs just before going through security that used to say

"Please have your passports and boarding cards ready"

This is grammatically correct, more or less, but I mentioned to a supervisor on several occasions that I neither have dual nationality, nor do I require two seats on the plane. This also produced a blank look. These people have become so institutionalised that they think that it's OK to refer to their customers as one might a herd of cattle.

In the end I wrote to BA and to BAA and received typical "We'll look into it" responses. So I wrote again.

I am pleased to say that I have scored a small victory for the individual. The sign in Terminal 1 (I haven't checked the others yet) now says

"Please have your passport and your boarding card ready"

I feel a sense of achievement.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Surname wasn't Farquar was it?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nah, he was a McFleagle. Or something similar, name changed to protect the guilty.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I have an MR2, so I looked out for another while we were over there last year. Not one, yet over here I see another several times a week. Even renamed, it didn't sell.

It did collect a crowd of admirers once, which isn't bad for a cheap car of that age!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

A story originally told about a chevy: