Slightly OT: How do I access c:\Users\Current user\Start menu?

I'm trying to find file associated with a shortcut in the Start menu with a view of replacing the crippled Calculator application with the old one shipped with Windows 7.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Fredxx

Windows builds your Start menu from two locations. One folder contains system-wide folders and shortcuts that appear on the Start menu of whatever user is logged in. There?s also a user-specific folder that contains shortcuts and folders displayed only for the currently logged in user.

Global Start Menu for all users is at

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

User is at

C:\Users\john\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

unless you've moved your user profiles somewhere else

For an individual item on the start menu, right click, select More... then Open File Location.

See also

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Many thanks I am now a little wiser.

Reply to
Fredxx

Right click on the shortcut Select properties and it should show the path.

Reply to
alan_m

Many of the built-in shortcuts don't show a path now. I think they use a registry entry somehow. A right pain when you want to add your own shortcuts and you can't just copy them from the start button.

Reply to
Paul Herber

Since they moved the AllUsers stuff into ProgramData it always takes me a while to remember where it is - and it's not helped that ProgramData is set to 'hidden' by default.

jgh

Reply to
jgh

Do you have an icon with the current user name on it? If you do then one of the sub folders will no doubt have it, but if its anything like win7 itself, the actual location will be in one of the program files folders, or in the main windows folder. Depends whether you elected to hide system files or not, I never do cos by the time I need to find a file I forgot how to unhide them again!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)