Slide out, under worktop wire storage?

Hi All,

Whilst down Mum's holiday caravan the other day I noticed a storage 'problem' when I was attacked by an avalanche of (food) tins when opening a cupboard! ;-)

That got me thinking if there was a way of improving things for her with some sort of 'slide out' storage solution (there is one shelf in there but but the cupboard is very narrow / deep).

We popped into MFI an saw a couple of options that might work but they keep nothing in stock and seemed expensive (40 quid for the baskets / runners bit?).

In case it helps this 'under worktop' cupboard is about 75 cm high by

53 cm deep and 23 cm (to clear hinges) wide (internal). If you could remount the door on the front of the unit then you might get another cm to the width. The runners could be mounted on either side or the bottom (all fairly flat / even).

I am thinking maybe 3 / 4 'shelves' (shallow wire trays?), enough levels make good use of the space but with enough room between the levels to remove the taller tins etc. Access (when open) could be from the top for the top level or either or both sides for the others.

So, are there any places out there that do a good range of this sorta thing at good prices please?

Failing a ready made solution I could probably make something?

All the best and thanks for your time ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Have you tried

Lots of weird and wonderful kitchen fittings there.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Wow, a selection indeed! Might be worth getting their catalogue ..

Not cheap mind .. ;-(

All the best and thanks David ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Fleetwood caravans did this some years ago. They used a wooden space frame to hold wire baskets(could be plastic or wood), mounted by a couple of pairs of normal metal drawer runners about half way up the frame onto wooden stiffeners glued to the side panels of the outer cabinet shell. The door front was mounted on the space frame. Very easy to make and worked well in operation. Double runners mounted at 1/3 and

2/3 up positions would be better if tins are being stored because of the weight problems. If you use two drawer runners per position, mounted as a filing cabinet double extension, IYSWIM, then you can achieve deeper opening.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

The cabinets in this van look like 9mm MDF or something so assuming you could get a good fastening (bolt through?) should be ok as is?

Kewl ;-)

Understood ..

I'd have to check to see how well the cabinet was fitted into the van (in case the extened leverage pulls it off the wall!).

Good thoughts / advice though and it may well come to it due to availability (or lack of) something that makes best use of the space at a reasonable price.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m