Skarsten scraper blades

A local hardware centre is a large shop with a very wide range of products so I went there to buy some new blades for my Skarsten scrapers. They did not have any, so I thought that I would ask my computer. Even it could only find one supplier on ebay. What do people use instead these days?

Reply to
Michael Chare

Depends on what you are using it for. For aggressive scraping to remove dried glue etc, then the carbide scrapers are pretty good. e.g:

For wood prep, then there is much to be said for a traditional cabinet card scrapers:

John Rumm

Thank you for your help. I am trying to remove old and cracked varnish from external window and door frames. I will try both of those.

I did wonder about trying to use aluminium oxide triangular bits for a multitool, but they may get clogged up to quickly.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Also, bits of broken glass. Use gloves, obv.

Hot air gun? Mind, that can go badly wrong, but some paints come off easily in thick layers...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

If using a card scraper, you will need a burnisher for resharpening it... (plenty of videos on youtube for sharpening card scrapers)

Chances are the varnish will flake off fairly easily without clogging if you are lucky.

A chemical stripper may be another option.

(using heat risks cracking the glass)

Reply to
John Rumm

I tried looking for Skarsten blades a decade ago, and they all seemed to be gone.

+1 on the bahco(s)
Reply to
Andy Burns

Googling "Skarsten blades" finds lots of hits, just beware that there are a lot of different ones. Skarsten made a big rang of scrapers over the years. I still have a few (an uncle of mine was company secretary for them for many years).

Reply to
Davidm