Sink waste through wall

I need to get a sink waste pipe through a solid 9" wall, I have no core drill available, what is the best technique?

Reply to
Richard

Depending on the diameter of the pipe you're using then a masonry drill with hammer action pistol will make small holes in a circle which can then be bashed out with a hammer and chisel.

Reply to
BigWallop

It depends on how much you want to spend and how often you expect to be making holes in masonry.

One option is to go out and hire a core drill, although a bit expensive.

You could buy an SDS drill, although to get one that is going to last any length of time and be good to use, you need to spend about £100.

These will cut through solid brick very easily. You do need to be a little careful because the action can tend to cause the brick on the far side of the hole to break out. They are a good investment if you value your time and don't like wielding club hammers and cold chisels.

Alternatively.....

If you have a hammer drill you could buy a long bit for it of (say)

15-25mm diameter and long enough to go through the wall (the sheds have them). Drill the hole and then enlarge using a club hammer and cold chisel working from both sides.

Finally, you could just do the hammer and chisel approach.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hammer and cold chisel.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"I need to get a sink waste pipe through a solid 9" wall, I have no core drill available, what is the best technique?" [..]

assuming it's a 9" wall with cavity, this is how I do it...

you need a hammer drill, a long 8 or 10mm masonry bit and a piece of the pipe you want to go through the wall drill one hole through to the outside, this would be the highest point of the hole you need, at a slight downward angle. now use the offcut as a template, place it at the bottom of the drill hole, and draw around it so you have the circle marked out on either side of the wall now drill holes around the circle through to the cavity from both sides then chisel the rest out.

simple (c;

LJ

Reply to
in2minds