Sink Drain sealant

Hi, I'm about to fit a sink drain assembly and I'm aware you are meant to seal under the top flange. I have a tub of Plumbers Mate - is this the right stuff ? (it says it doesn't dry out on the tub)

Please be quick, I'm raring to go :)

Reply to
LanMan

I suppose you /could/ use jollop, I use silicone.

RT

Reply to
[news]

Run a ring of translucent silicon sealant under the rim before dropping it thru the sink. That ring should be continuous, and when you tighten down the sink drain a small amount should squeegee out - wipe it off immediately before it goes off.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

Yes that'll do fine. Silicone as suggested by others is OK as long as you don't (ever) twist the fitting after it's set (e.g. getting a trap on or off). If you do it's liable to break the seal and leak, whereas mait stays gooey for years and tends to set like a glue so making it unlikely you'll disturb the joint accidentally.

Reply to
John Stumbles

that's why best to dress the sink the night before you're going to do a job (if possible) with the old 2 screwdrivers down the plughole trick

RT

Reply to
[news]

Usually there's a felt 'washer' and no need for any sealant

Reply to
Mike

In message , Mike writes

None I've ever used have had 'felt' washer, all have had various plastic and rubber washers. A bit of silicone never goes amiss though

Reply to
chris French

Okay - some have a felt 'washer' (which sits on top of the rubber one) and there's no need for any sealant

Reply to
Mike